Betta Barracks

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Red1313, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so I've been toying around with the design for some betta barrack units, and I'd thought I'd get your guys's opinion on this set up.
    I drew it up on Google SketchUp but couldn't put the shelves in without it wanting to be goofy so where the lines are on the back are where the shelves would be.

Quick over view:
    The actual barracks are on the top three shelves, right now I've designed it with containers of 6x4x6 (lwh) in mind. However since I haven't sourced my containers yet this isn't final. The big bottom shelf will hold a 20 gallon long for the spawns (I'm planning to go with the "father in" method). Sitting under the whole thing is going to be the sump.
    Since space is a premium in my place any idea's are appreciated.

Thanks guys all feed-back welcome :)

Attached Files:

2. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

Looks great! I hope that construction will be easy, if it were me I would be looking for something commercially made... perhaps a multi-shelf unit or something that I could use, but thats just me :)

3. OP
    OP
    Red1313

I looked into that too rae but the shelving I'd like to use isn't cheap enough, and what's cheap enough I don't trust to hold... However 2x4 and plywood can be pretty cheap :p

4. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

Yes, they are very cheap! Sounds like a plan!

5. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Looks like a cool idea. What about having the 2 supports at the top go all the way through to the floor for the main support, then bring the angled legs off that to keep it from tipping over? Having all the weight of at least 3 tanks on 1 solid support and a joint imo doesn't seem safe enough. just my 2 pennies worth :)

Here's a pic of what I mean. The red would be the full 2x4.
    558.jpg

Also as a side note? Make sure weight for the total structure won't be an issue for your floor.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Well there was supposed to be another piece of 2x4 where the "bend" is and across to the back leg that would support the shelve but that was another piece the sketch-up wouldn't let me draw... however I like your full 2nd leg

7. outlaw

I like the look of your design better but I would prefer safety and dry floors:D. Please don't take that as it was bad. I think it would benefit structurally from 4 full legs with 2 assisting legs

8. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Haha safety and dry floors are a priority :p And no worries I wanted feedback :p You never know what you're overlooking till someone points it out lol

9. outlaw

Yeah, I've had to do that, you get a set of fresh eye's on something and they go "what about that?". My response "ooohhhh, ummm?" lol

Don't forget to get sealer for the wood. Can't have soggy wood! :D lol

10. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Haha now that is something I totally forgot about :p

11. outlaw

Yey, that is 2 times this week already my hamster was able to make the bulb light up!

The other was for bassbonediva. lol

12. OP
    OP
    Red1313

That Hampster is slowly getting in shape :p

13. outlaw

Don't tell the hamster that. It may start to slack off.

Either way, make sure to take progress pics :D

Good Luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice