Betta Barracks Idea - Need Constructive Criticism Please!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by lilabug4545, Apr 19, 2018.

1. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm looking for constructive criticism on my betta barracks plans, please! (If you need help reading my disgusting handwriting, I can help, too!) Also, I would like to know what gph return pump I should use for each 20G sump.

2. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

I can't tell exactly -- how large is each cell? How many gallons of water will it hold?

Also, I think I can see this in your design, but make sure the walls are opaque. Aggressive bettas will get stressed out if they can see their neighbors.

I don't do much tank construction myself, so I can't comment on the system as a whole, but I wish you the best of luck!

3. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

There is a betta shop in Vietnam that has done a large scale version of what you are designing. There are several Asian ones, in fact, the one in Vietnam is just the coolest. Do a search for "betta shop" on YouTube ("Betta barracks" is an awesome name).

4. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

Each cell will be roughly 6"x6"x6" with both barriers in, with two gallons per cell in the sump.

That's one of the reasons I have all the different types of barriers, is because I have bettas who gets stressed when they see others, some who get stressed when they can't see others (pretty much all of my girls are like this), and some who are half and half. One of the big reasons I went with all the different types of barriers is for flare training.

Also: I'm debating between clear plastic and glass for the front viewing panel so if anyone has any opinions or advice on that, please comment!

I saw that! Super cool! Tbh I just kind of mashed together a bunch of different ideas from some of my favorite fish-tubers. I stol Cory at Aq Co-op's betta water system, lifewithpets' barrier idea (granted they're different), and Gianne from Inglorious bettas was a huge inspiration with her heat strips, and partial carding technique (where I got most of my barrier ideas from).

5. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

6. Kamaile

Kamaile Valued Member Member

I don't know much about building tanks, either, but I think your design seems a little small even for bettas.

7. A. Rozhin

I think 2 gallons is enough for a betta if the fish is well-cared for. I realize people lose their minds over this issue, and I may be a fish-cramping monster, etc. etc. But not all two gallons are created equal. You've got a lot of filtration, and you've put a lot of thought into having the option of interchangeable dividers for various visual needs.

I'm interested in why you're doing this -- are you going to breed them, and sell them? I personally would be delighted, and would pay top dollar, to buy a betta kept in filtrated, circulated water with 2 gallons per fish, with thought given to the visual issues that can stress them out.

I wish I had more constructive advice, because I want you to build this thing asap and upload pictures.

8. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

I'm breeding long-fin types, which are usually less active. I've found that smaller tanks only don't work for bettas because of filtration and boredom. To combat filtration, I have the sumps, and to combat boredom I have a number of floating and sinking toys that I can change around fairly often.

I am interested in breeding and selling. In a perfect world, the fish would all have the 2 gallons to swim around in, but I don't have the space for that (especially with so many ideas I have for what I want to breed).
    I'm not as much interested in selling to top dollar (that would all go back to the fish, anyway), but I'm more interested in improving the lines that I love!
    I'm also interested in rescuing (one of the reasons for the QT tanks, which I'm thinking of upping the numbers of, but that wouldn't be too hard with the individual sumps.

9. aBettaNamedRoy

aBettaNamedRoy Valued Member Member

That is awesome! If you ever start breeding and selling, please let me know! I'd love to buy from a breeder with your values and setup!

10. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

Update: I am moving ahead with the project! I am probably going to be using glass and/or acrylic, and I'm so excited! I'll keep you updated!

11. A. Rozhin

Yep, keep us posted, I'd buy from you, too. It's hard to find bettas where I feel that care has been given towards their health and well-being. Here's to healthy, hearty fish!

12. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

While I'd love to see something a bit larger (8x8x8, or even 10x10x10 would be ideal, IMO) this should work pretty well. It'll be better conditions than a lot of breeders keep them in, anyway. As long as filtration is kept up with, and the tanks are adequately interesting for the fish, I think this'll be fine.

If this goes well, and I'm ever in need of a betta, I'll shoot ya a message.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice