Betta Back Bent

yoshiii

Hii so i just got this betta and now hes in the quarantine tank at the moment. I noticed theres a little back bent at the back (?). He is swimming just fine btw. I’m not really sure whether this is normal or worrying can you guys help me out thanks

Noroomforshoe

I can't really tell either. If you want to return do it, but the store may kill it. I had a fish slowly develop bent spine disease over a year. its not fun to watch. RIP gazpacho! He was still one of the best fish I ever kept and I dont regret caring for him

Rose of Sharon

I agree that if it bothers you, bring him back before you get too attached. Most reputable breeders cull the fish with deformities when they are fry. This happens a lot when they have a parent fish that carries the double tail gene, or so I have read.

It's probably just a case of scoliosis, which is somewhat common in bettas. He could live a full life.

He is a pretty boy, though. That would be a hard decision for me to make!

yoshiii

I can't really tell either. If you want to return do it, but the store may kill it. I had a fish slowly develop bent spine disease over a year. its not fun to watch. RIP gazpacho! He was still one of the best fish I ever kept and I dont regret caring for him
Aww sorry to hear about your loss, idk what to do because i really like my betta :(((
I agree that if it bothers you, bring him back before you get too attached. Most reputable breeders cull the fish with deformities when they are fry. This happens a lot when they have a parent fish that carries the double tail gene, or so I have read.

It's probably just a case of scoliosis, which is somewhat common in bettas. He could live a full life.

He is a pretty boy, though. That would be a hard decision for me to make!
I really dont know what to do i feel like i wanna keep it because i think thats the best decision for now. Cause I don’t think my pet store would allow returning the betta. I hope its not too serious :((

Rose of Sharon

Aww sorry to hear about your loss, idk what to do because i really like my betta :(((

I really dont know what to do i feel like i wanna keep it because i think thats the best decision for now. Cause I don’t think my pet store would allow returning the betta. I hope its not too serious :((
It sounds like you want to keep him, so that's great!!!

He really can live a normal little betta life. The bent spine shouldn't affect his swimming that much as it's not that pronounced. If it does get somewhat worse over time, and you need to do something like lower the tank water level, then that is easy to do. Just do your best for him, and don't worry. Enjoy him! :)

betta06

if he otherwise looks fine then I would say just a deformity. I had/have a few kinked spined bettas and they lived long happy lives!

Magua

My double tail betta has a bent spine and is doing fine! I think it gives him character. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kdwyer
Replies
Views
GirlWhoLovesBettaFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
JuiceBox52
  • Question