Betta Attacking Snails

1. b

bettapeixe28 Valued Member Member

I just got a betta fish on Tuesday. It’s in a 10 gallon tank with 3 nerite snails that I added a few days before I got the betta. The betta seem fine with the snails at first but tonight I saw the betta attacking one of the snails. Now I’m going to have to move the snails into a different tank. What size tank can I put 3 nerite snails?

Attached Files:

2. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004 Valued Member Member

Ok honestly for the snails half a gallon to 1 gallon is perfect. Also do you know what the Nitrogen Cycle is? Is your tank cycled? Well... is your betta the only fish in the tank? Or are there any other inhabitants? You say that your betta attacked one... did your beta peck at the snail or what did your Betta do to it?

3. OP
    OP
    b

My tank is cycled. My betta fish is the only fish in the 10 gallon tank.

Would nerite snails need a heater in a separate tank?

4. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Ok great I was worried that if you had any fish in the tank that they might be your bettas next meal lol. For the Nerites make sure that the small tank has a small heater and a small filter

Yes
    they would since they are a tropical species.

5. OP
    OP
    b

Let’s say I got a one gallon tank, how often would I have to change the water?

6. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Not to often I’d say maybe every 8-10 days as long as you don’t over feed with wafers. I’d only drop 1 and a half of a wafer in the tank every 3 days

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't be too quick about removing them. Nerites are well armored and protected unless they get turned on their backs. The chances are that the Betta will get tired of pecking at something he can't eat and will leave them alone. I've never heard of a Nerite being killed by a Betta.

8. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

I agree that’s why I asked exactly what the Betta did to the snail but no response but that’s ok. If the betta only pecked at him once, your beta should get bored and move on

9. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Bettas can bite of their eyes or other fleshy parts before the snail could retract.

10. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

Nerite snails have antenna, but...Yeah, I agree with dch48. I have those types of nerites in a 75 gal with S/A cichlids. one of which is an oscar. Youre fine to leave your snails with the betta.

Ive also got nerites in a tank with tiger loaches. Youre really fine, the betta shouldnt hurt them.

11. OP
    OP
    b

T
    The betta kept stalking the snail and then charged at it and tried to bite it. I’m not sure if the betta did it again.

That’s good to know.

12. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I was taking care of this one betta who I found to be a snurderer (snail murderer). He killed several species of snails (granted they we're pretty small and had their heads extended out of their shell, unlike nerites). I ended up putting in a nerite for him, and for the first few days he would follow it very closely around the tank and occasionally try to bite it. It's been well over a month since I put the nerite in, and now the betta doesn't bother him at all. Also the nerite has full antennae.

13. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Valued Member Member

I have an incredibly peaceful betta. He doesn't bother shrimp or snail, except one particular snail. He hates that guy. He flares at him anytime he's on the glass and doesn't stop until he gets down. I've never seen him attack though.

14. OP
    OP
    b

It’s weird because my betta doesn’t flare at all. It’s almost like he can’t. Ever since I got him he’s been very hyper because he can see his reflection in the tank. I need to put a vinyl background to prevent him from seeing his reflection. I don’t want him to stay stressed for too long

:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Im changing my betta name to Snurderer if he kills the snails.

15. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Awww looks like you got a betta that doesn't tolerate any tank mates. It happens sometimes.

I've seen a betta bite off a nerite's antenna before. I would not keep nerites with this betta. I would just let this betta live alone.

16. OP
    OP
    b

And to think that I was going to add ghost shrimp to the tank lol

17. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Well it can be good to add some variety to their diet they are carnivores after all......

18. OP
    OP
    b

If I ever have to on vacation for than 5 days, I can just add some ghost shrimp in the tank lol

19. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Snail's antenna grow back. It's not a fatal wound and they really don't need to have them always extended. Bettas are much more likely to hurt Mystery snails because a Mystery exposes it's head while foraging or digging and it can lose not only it's antenna but it's eyes can also get bitten off. My Betta seems to like Mystery snails though. He follows them around and even sometimes wraps himself around the shell. The only time Benny has been aggressive towards my Nerite was when it was nearing the top of the tank while he was blowing bubbles against the side of the filter box. He completely flared his gills and fins and even pecked at it a few times. He's back to totally ignoring it now.

20. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Are you going to keep the snails in the 10-gallon or move them?