Betta Attacked! Rip Little Girl!

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been sick for a few days, which is why I haven't been on here. I see I have a ton of alerts.

Well, I finally just woke up after being asleep off and on all day and started my feeding round but couldn't find my beautiful blue-teal-lavender Veiltail Female betta in the divided 10 gallon. Then I saw something on the bottom of the other partition. She was just a body, no tail or fins, gills working hard, barely alive. I scooped her out with my hand and I'm not ashamed to admit I sobbed for several minutes before pulling myself together and getting a container to put her in as she couldn't swim. I was just posting for advice, wondering if I needed to euthanize when I noticed she stopped breathing. Maybe I should've put in an airline for her. Or maybe she just held out long enough to say goodbye. I don't know, but I feel awful either way. I hadn't checked on my fish today and if I had, I could've maybe rescued her earlier before she got so bad. I don't know. I'm very distraught. My beautiful little girl, full of personality. I hate this divider! I've had nothing but problems with it! The last 2 photos are her after the last time one got through! I'm contacting the company when I'm better and demanding my money back.

I just bought them new plants in waiting to be delivered and a new light and a new filter, too. I was so excited to give them a tank makeover when I felt better.
I hope this post makes sense... Not only am I upset, but my head was not feeling right to begin with.

Attachments

Last edited:

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Im so sorry, thats a terrible thing to wake up to.

Did the other jump the divider or slip through somewhere?

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think she might've slipped through somehow to the other side and wasn't able to get back, making her completely vulnerable. I have no idea how she got over there. The divider looks the same as always so I don't know how or where she got through. Or why. It's been a few weeks at least since either has gotten past the tank divider.

I just lost my male adult molly the other day, too. Went to feed and found him dead with his mouth open and lips stretched out. I don't know if he choked or drowned or what. It's really bizarre. He was fine the night before and ate happily. I bought him fully grown so maybe he's old.

Then this, which I'm way more upset about.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think she might've slipped through somehow to the other side and wasn't able to get back, making her completely vulnerable. I have no idea how she got over there. The divider looks the same as always so I don't know how or where she got through. Or why. It's been a few weeks at least since either has gotten past the tank divider.

I just lost my male adult molly the other day, too. Went to feed and found him dead with his mouth open and lips stretched out. I don't know if he choked or drowned or what. It's really bizarre. He was fine the night before and ate happily. I bought him fully grown so maybe he's old.

Then this, which I'm way more upset about.
Its really rough. Mollies are overbred and dont have a long lifespan usually from what i hear, it could have been an age thing.

But the divider is a bad situation, i would definitely contact the company. If theres space up top id wonder if theyre jumping it as bettas are good jumpers. Its a terrible accident. I dont think theres anything you could have done to predict this would have happened.

Maybe with the new plants, plant a new little garden in the tank for her memory.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep the water line about an inch and a half to two inches from the top because she's always been a jumper at feeding times. The divider reaches the top of the tank. Still, it's very possible she jumped over. But since this isn't the first time one has gotten past the divider and the product is pretty cheaply made and unsturdy, I'm definitely complaining. I've seen them try to go under it and had to made sure gravel blocked it. I've seen the sides not looking safe or sturdy. But since nothing has happened in awhile, I guess I got complacent or something and trusted the divider too much. Whether or not I get my money back, I'm getting a new divider for the future. I don't know if I'll feel comfortable dividing the tank again as this was pretty traumatic for me, but I can easily see myself bringing home another betta in the future, so who knows.

The memorial garden is a nice idea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom