Betta Aquarium Tank Temperature Dropped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi Everyone,
I have a slight problem! My betta's heater stopped working while I was away for 2 weeks! I just came home and his tank temperature is at 60! 14 degrees under what t should be! I am going out to buy a new heater right now! However, I'm not sure how to adjust his temperature without stunning him. What should I do. The betta heater I bought absolutely sucked so I'm not going to buy another one of those. Would the tetra 50w be ok if he is in a 5 gallon cylinder?
Please help!

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my husbands betta didn't have a heater, what I did when I got it one is to put the heater on the tank, its not going to heat up the entire tank in minutes so your betta should have time to adjust to the new tank temp as it increases in temp

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my husbands betta didn't have a heater, what I did when I got it one is to put the heater on the tank, its not going to heat up the entire tank in minutes so your betta should have time to adjust to the new tank temp as it increases in temp
So he should be ok? Which would have been more stressful the drop in temp or increase?

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the drop wouldn't have happened quickly either, think how long it takes a gallon of water to get to room temperature and that's how long he had to adjust to the new temp, he should be fine, but he will be much happier when you get him back up to temp

the only time it would be a shock issue and a quick change would be to do a 50% water change with water more than 2 degree difference in it, water cools down slowly and heats up slowly, which is why the tank is supposed to be at temp when you climatize most fish, but since you need to go up in temp slowly allowing him to adjust as the heater slowly heats the water would be better

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the drop wouldn't have happened quickly either, think how long it takes a gallon of water to get to room temperature and that's how long he had to adjust to the new temp, he should be fine, but he will be much happier when you get him back up to temp
My care just recently noticed that he was acting lethargic not eating. So he called me up and was asking me what he should do. And I guess that is what the problem was.

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas do seem to be more docile and less active at colder temps (not that they cant be kept at lower temps) but they are definitely happier, more active and live longer , the sales clerk who sold my husband the heater for his betta said that the heater could possibly make the difference in the fish living 3 years or 5

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettas do seem to be more docile and less active at colder temps (not that they cant be kept at lower temps) but they are definitely happier, more active and live longer , the sales clerk who sold my husband the heater for his betta said that the heater could possibly make the difference in the fish living 3 years or 5
All the store has is an 100w (10-30) will this be too hot for her? Would you recommend taking the 50w out of my 10 gallon and putting it in hers

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes and then adjusting the 100 watt to either the midway setting or as close as you can get to the original temp for the 10 gallon tank

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yes and then adjusting the 100 watt to either the midway setting or as close as you can get to the original temp for the 10 gallon tank
They are not adjustable. It says it's pre set to 78. But I don't know

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a heater for a 15 gallon aquarium that was on the 10 it said it was adjusted to 78, it seemed to work fine just monitor you tank temps for the next 24 hours to see if there are any major fluxuations

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a heater for a 15 gallon aquarium that was on the 10 it said it was adjusted to 78, it seemed to work fine just monitor you tank temps for the next 24 hours to see if there are any major fluxuations
His tank is up to 78 right now and he is swimming around a lot more. However, he doesn't seem to be eating as much as he usually does. Do you know why?

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how often do you feed him, it wont hurt him to give him a day or 2 without food, incase he isn't hungry, but I only feed our bettas 2-3 small pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night, they get brine shrimp only on Saturday and fast on sunday, I alternate brine shrimp and blood worms.

Beausoleiljacob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
how often do you feed him, it wont hurt him to give him a day or 2 without food, incase he isn't hungry, but I only feed our bettas 2-3 small pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night, they get brine shrimp only on Saturday and fast on sunday, I alternate brine shrimp and blood worms.
I try to give him as much as he wants. I throw 3 in and wait until he eats them and keeps going until he stops usually. I always try to feed him brine shrimp but it always seems to spoil the water, so is it best to do it on the day of a water change? Also, why do you fast a day?

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
only feed him 2 times a day 2-3 pellets each time and save the brine shrimp or blood worms for only 1 day a week and fast him, see if you see an improvement after a week, you are over feeding him

Fasting for a day is actually good for the fish,

no wonder he's not eating, lol

Jomolager

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I try to give him as much as he wants. I throw 3 in and wait until he eats them and keeps going until he stops usually. I always try to feed him brine shrimp but it always seems to spoil the water, so is it best to do it on the day of a water change? Also, why do you fast a day?
I've done that and I was doing that until someone in no uncertain terms explained to me that I was killing my fish.

Bettas have very small stomachs. Some say it is the size of their eyes. But, like all fish, they can't control their appetite. They have no concept of being satiated. They will eat and eat for as long as there is food in front of them till it kills them.

This is why my Bettas get 4 pellets in the morning and 3 at night.

Tolak

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cooler temperatures lower a fish's metabolism, this means digestion. If the fish was at that temperature for any length of time I wouldn't feed it for 2 days, then feed lightly for the next couple days. Fasting allows the digestive tract to empty out, avoiding constipation, bloat, and the possibility of an internal infection.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Betta's need a bit warmer temp than the standard tropical fish. I would say between 80 degrees, and no more than 82.

I have had my betta for 3 year now and I feed him 3 pellets ( NLS Betta formula ) ONCE per day, bloodworms ( maybe 3 strands? ) once a week. He always fasts on Sundays.

That's been my routine and he seems fine. I know they will keep eating if you feed them and they will not starve if left without any food for a few days.

I use a 50w heater in a Fluval edge 6.6 gallon

blklex460

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish are opportunistic feeders. In the wild, they don't know when their next meal will be so they eat as long as food is available. This mentality has transferred to captive-bred specimens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom