Betta aquarium build

Nomofish

Reaction score
I know it's not much to look at but it's a new home compared to a cup!

Started with this but when I decided to go Betta, I removed the plastic plants and added a sword from my 45gal. and a piece of terracotta pot, also colored some printer paper blue and made a background lol (can't stant seeing wires and the hob through the tank)

He seems to be settling in! Will update with any changes. Also I will add that this is the first time I've had more than one tank running in 25yrs and the first Betta since then as well and hopefully I know more now than when I was 10yrs old spending my rare coins and 2$ bills on a fish I knew nothing about lol this site is actually the reason I started a 2nd tank and why I went with a Betta as I see so many beautiful pics on here!

Here are a few more pics! I'm hoping his fins will grow back in after a few weeks.

Any tips, suggestions, compliments, complaints etc. all welcomed! Thanks for looking and reading.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oooh hes got a little ghost shrimp friend, good choice!

Looking good for a start, bet hes appreciating the extra space out of the cup now

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Oooh hes got a little ghost shrimp friend, good choice!

Looking good for a start, bet hes appreciating the extra space out of the cup now
I actually have 2 ghost shrimp in there that I forgot to mention in post lol planning on some moss balls and more plants soon! Maybe a piece of driftwood if I find one I like! You and your posts have actually been a big influence on my Betta! ;)

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
Not looking so good today, looks like I'm going to lose him, tried making more caves and restricted the water flow some thinking that would help but he's looking pretty rough and hiding all day and when he comes out very fast darting motions and trying to rub up against things, I really doubt that he'll make it through the night:( I'm trying to save him

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CincyRob84 said:
Not looking so good today, looks like I'm going to lose him, tried making more caves and restricted the water flow some thinking that would help but he's looking pretty rough and hiding all day and when he comes out very fast darting motions and trying to rub up against things, I really doubt that he'll make it through the night:( I'm trying to save him
Can you post pics? Is the tank cycled? I'm sorry to hear he is not well :(

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
Sien said:
Can you post pics? Is the tank cycled? I'm sorry to hear he is not well :(
It is possible that the tank is not fully cycled but I did seed it with filter media a piece of terracotta pot and a plant from my established 45gallon tank for a week, have also been doing daily water changes around 40-50%, and his lights are out for the night so I can't try for a pic, I actually do not have a test kit and never have (sin sin) but I am going to take a sample to the fish store tomorrow and see how it comes back. I also only did the float the bag acclimation and read somewhere to slowly add tank water for 2 hours, it could be a number of things but he is definitely not happy with something, poor guy☹

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CincyRob84 said:
It is possible that the tank is not fully cycled but I did seed it with filter media a piece of terracotta pot and a plant from my established 45gallon tank for a week, have also been doing daily water changes around 40-50%, and his lights are out for the night so I can't try for a pic, I actually do not have a test kit and never have (sin sin) but I am going to take a sample to the fish store tomorrow and see how it comes back. I also only did the float the bag acclimation and read somewhere to slowly add tank water for 2 hours, it could be a number of things but he is definitely not happy with something, poor guy☹
If you have been doing water changes daily and had some seeded media, your levels/ammonia is likely not sky high. To clarify, did you have the seeded media in there for a week with no ammonia to feed off? You could have lost a lot of bacteria that way, it needs an ammonia source to stay alive. Still tho, with daily water changes you shouldn't be too bad. Unless your parameters are incredibly different, I don't think not slowly acclimating for 2 hours is an issue. I only acclimate for 30 min and have never had an issue. I think 2 hours are for very sensitive and fragile fish (aka not a betta lol). Hmm...he could just be stressed. See what you water is at before panicking too much. Study his behavior more before medicating. I'm sorry he is not well tho :(

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
Sien said:
If you have been doing water changes daily and had some seeded media, your levels/ammonia is likely not sky high. To clarify, did you have the seeded media in there for a week with no ammonia to feed off? You could have lost a lot of bacteria that way, it needs an ammonia source to stay alive. Still tho, with daily water changes you shouldn't be too bad. Unless your parameters are incredibly different, I don't think not slowly acclimating for 2 hours is an issue. I only acclimate for 30 min and have never had an issue. I think 2 hours are for very sensitive and fragile fish (aka not a betta lol). Hmm...he could just be stressed. See what you water is at before panicking too much. Study his behavior more before medicating. I'm sorry he is not well tho :(
I actually first filled the tank halfway with water from my 45gal holding the syphon end right in the stream coming out of the filter, then filled the rest with tap and prime and added the other material and let it sit, then added the fish and 2 small ghost shrimp, only after adding them I started doing daily changes. I don't have much experience with betta but if they can live in a cup or a bowl I shouldn't be having a problem. Thank you for the replies and help and concern! Really appreciate it!

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have that same ship decoration. Seen it in clearance aisle at Walmart for $2.50 and couldn't pass that up! Hope he makes a recovery.

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
yeti79 said:
I have that same ship decoration. Seen it in clearance aisle at Walmart for $2.50 and couldn't pass that up! Hope he makes a recovery.
My son loves pirates so I've got a ship in both tanks lol would like to go a more natural look but keeping the ships for him, thanks and I hope he recovers too.

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
Well he is still alive today and the pet store said the water tested good and to keep doing daily water changes but did not give me exact numbers on anything, as to if they would be right anyways, I tried getting a pic today but he just comes out and darts around for a second and then goes back into hiding, he's likely just really stressed out I assume, good thing is that he's still toughing it out! He has been eating since I got him but I'm not sure if he ate any of the blood worms I put in today, the shrimp sure were munching on them though and they seem to be doing well, one molted today I see.We'll see how tomorrow goes! One day at a time.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CincyRob84 said:
Well he is still alive today and the pet store said the water tested good and to keep doing daily water changes but did not give me exact numbers on anything, as to if they would be right anyways, I tried getting a pic today but he just comes out and darts around for a second and then goes back into hiding, he's likely just really stressed out I assume, good thing is that he's still toughing it out! He has been eating since I got him but I'm not sure if he ate any of the blood worms I put in today, the shrimp sure were munching on them though and they seem to be doing well, one molted today I see.We'll see how tomorrow goes! One day at a time.
Glad he’s still alive. Pet store should have given you exact numbers :/. If you have the time try to get a test kit so you can test yourself, or go back and ask for exact numbers. Just in case you got an employee who didn’t know what they were doing. The average person would see 2 for ammonia and like oh 2 is so low! Also keeping the lights off the tank for now will help with stress. Hoping your boy can pull through whatever this.

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
Sien said:
Glad he’s still alive. Pet store should have given you exact numbers :/. If you have the time try to get a test kit so you can test yourself, or go back and ask for exact numbers. Just in case you got an employee who didn’t know what they were doing. The average person would see 2 for ammonia and like oh 2 is so low! Also keeping the lights off the tank for now will help with stress. Hoping your boy can pull through whatever this.
Very true! I know that you can't trust a thing they say most of the time and I really do need to get a kit and see what's going on for myself, personally I've just done what I think is right and gone with my instinct as I have read up quite a bit on things and had fish off and on for at least 25 yrs but I still don't by any means know as much as I should:( I do care and want the best for my fish and will take all things into consideration. I was thinking about the light thing and it may help a lot but the plant really is loving it which is very exciting for me as I've always gone with fake bc the real ones always die, but then again I plant in gravel and never have used any ferts, all and all I've got a lot to learn and a ways to go and I really appreciate this site and all there is to learn! So many great people that truly care and want to help, I need more fish friends in my life! So glad I've joined this site and I thank you for the help!

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CincyRob84 said:
Very true! I know that you can't trust a thing they say most of the time and I really do need to get a kit and see what's going on for myself, personally I've just done what I think is right and gone with my instinct as I have read up quite a bit on things and had fish off and on for at least 25 yrs but I still don't by any means know as much as I should:( I do care and want the best for my fish and will take all things into consideration. I was thinking about the light thing and it may help a lot but the plant really is loving it which is very exciting for me as I've always gone with fake bc the real ones always die, but then again I plant in gravel and never have used any ferts, all and all I've got a lot to learn and a ways to go and I really appreciate this site and all there is to learn! So many great people that truly care and want to help, I need more fish friends in my life! So glad I've joined this site and I thank you for the help!
I think the most respectable people and the best pet owners are those that reach out for help and take advice kindly, of course while also doing their own research. So in my book, you are already doing awesome! The master test kit is a live saver and lasts forever...until it expires lol. Also easier than driving back and forth to the pet store. chewy sells it for 22$ I believe. I can't say much regarding the plant and if the light being off will hurt it. I am a beginner plant keeper too. Other easy plants I have found are anubias, hornwort, java moss, moss balls, cabomba, and frogbit :). I hope you enjoy and learn from this forum as much as the rest of us have. I know it has helped me greatly.

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
UPDATE: Mr betta kept declining but was still alive so I took him back and hopefully they can revive him because he certainly didn't like it here. They tested the parameters of both tanks and I asked for numbers this time.

10 gallon was .50-0-0 7.5ph
45 gallon was 0-0-0 7.5ph
I choose not to get another because I'm afraid the same would happen, instead I got 3 zebras and some wisteria! Just to get the tank better established. As for now I'm staying away from bettas bc I clearly am no good at keeping them ☹

OP
N

Nomofish

Reaction score
So, as I do not own a test kit and don't have the money to get one at the moment I have no choice but to take water samples to the pet store for testing, I do know that ammonia and nitrite should be 0 or as close as possible to 0 and I know in a cycled tank you should have nitrates, as for the specific number I was not sure of but I'm reading it should be around 30 to 50ppm in a freshwater tank? My 45 gallon has been setup for over a year and definitely is cycled and has been, so there is no way that it could have zero nitrates right? In conclusion taking a sample to the pet store is completely useless haha going to do it again today but different store to see what they say! It just annoys me so much with the false information they give people will be back to post numbers from another pet store to compare.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom