Betta Aquarium And New To Nitrogen Cycle

Stuart S.
So I’m starting my daughter a Betta aquarium and I’m still not 100% comfortable with the nitrogen cycle just because I’m still new to it but today was day 5 with running the aquarium. I started using Seachem Stability since day 1 and I have also used Prime and Flourish once each. I put a few shrimp pellets in each day as well. I have an API Masterkit and here have been my readings today and Thursday

Test Readings

2/1/18
pH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 2-3 ppm
80 degrees

2/3/18
pH: 8.3
Ammonia: 8.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
80 degrees

I know I’m waiting on the Nitrites now but just starting this thread for some accountability and to make sure I don’t miss anything. Thanks for any advice and help.

Advertisement
david1978
Yep you have ammonia. Lol. Now it's just a waiting game.

JLeeM
Looks like you have nitrates in your tap water. Also, do you already have the betta in the tank? Or are you cycling first?

Advertisement
Caleb Smith
What plants do you have because Flourish might not be necessary? Also what is the tank size? Welcome to fishkeeping btw!

Lorekeeper
Off to a good start!

During a cycle, I try to keep my Ammonia between 2.0 and 4.0 PPM, as extremely high numbers can stall the cycle.

Advertisement
Minerva77
Looks good! Next you should have a nitrite spike and then a nitrate spike as they're converted into the next step on the cycle (ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate)

Stuart S.
Looks like you have nitrates in your tap water. Also, do you already have the betta in the tank? Or are you cycling first?

Well I actually purchased purified water first so because I know we have chlorine in the tap and I just didn't want to fool with it. I do not have any fish in the tank yet, I was wanting to cycle it first. If that's best?

What plants do you have because Flourish might not be necessary? Also what is the tank size? Welcome to fishkeeping btw!

I have 2 pretty small java (tropica) ferns, it's a small 3 gallon tank, my daughter got it as a gift and now it's turned into a little Daddy project Thanks Caleb!

Off to a good start!

During a cycle, I try to keep my Ammonia between 2.0 and 4.0 PPM, as extremely high numbers can stall the cycle.

Yes I was a little afraid the numbers were too high today, the ammonia was only about 3.0ppm yesterday and I've had a pretty good bacteria bloom the past 2 days but it cleared up today finally.

Looks good! Next you should have a nitrite spike and then a nitrate spike as they're converted into the next step on the cycle (ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate)

Yes, I'm hoping it won't take long because we have a small aquarium lol

david1978
Unforchantly tank size has little to do with how long the cycle takes to establish.

Stuart S.
Unforchantly tank size has little to do with how long the cycle takes to establish.

I figured that, it was just sort of wishful thinking lol

maeh22
I'd suggest you do a 50% water change to lower the ammonia so the cycle doesn't get stalled

Kiks
8 ppm ammonia is very high. Not only could it stall the cycling process, but it's also just gonna take forever for the filter to process. If I were you I'd do a large water change and get the ammonia down to around 2 ppm. Then you figure out how much fish food you need to add in order to hit 2 ppm ammonia and add that amount when ammonia gets to 0.25 -0 ppm. Since it's a betta tank you don't have to prepare the filter to handle a lot of ammonia.

Stuart S.
So I apologize for the newbie question but is a water change just what it sounds? Like a 50%, just changing out half the tank, etc etc?

david1978
Yep just change out the water. Adding back dechlorinated water.

Stuart S.
Yep just change out the water. Adding back dechlorinated water.

Thank you, I'll do that!

Minerva77
To your comment about the chlorine in the water: as long as you have dechlorinator you don't need to worry about the chlorine in the water. It's probably easier use dechlorinator then buying a bunch of purified water Just put the right amount of water (at the right temp) into a bucket, add the right amount of drops per gallon that you have in the bucket (directions on bottle) and then poor it in.
To a fish in cycle with a betta: you can do it if you want. I've had 2 bettas, and I did a fish in cycle for both. They did fine, and you wouldn't have noticed anything going on if you weren't doing water tests Bettas are pretty strong fish (at least mine are ). But do what you feel comfortable with

Stuart S.
To your comment about the chlorine in the water: as long as you have dechlorinator you don't need to worry about the chlorine in the water. It's probably easier use dechlorinator then buying a bunch of purified water Just put the right amount of water (at the right temp) into a bucket, add the right amount of drops per gallon that you have in the bucket (directions on bottle) and then poor it in.
To a fish in cycle with a betta: you can do it if you want. I've had 2 bettas, and I did a fish in cycle for both. They did fine, and you wouldn't have noticed anything going on if you weren't doing water tests Bettas are pretty strong fish (at least mine are ). But do what you feel comfortable with

Thank you dearly for you help!

JLeeM
Well I actually purchased purified water first so because I know we have chlorine in the tap and I just didn't want to fool with it. I do not have any fish in the tank yet, I was wanting to cycle it first. If that's best?
Well it sounds like your cycle is advancing very quickly then. Good job! As far as fishless or fish in cycles, everyone has their own opinions and preferences. Most bettas can handle it as long as ammonia and nitrite don't get too high. Seachem Prime dechlorinator helps a lot with that. It can detoxify small amounts of both for 24 hours. Basically until you retest water parameters and/or do another water change.

Stuart S.
So I did a 50% water change this afternoon with our tap water and added some Prime to the tank, fingers crossed!

Stuart S.
That water change really helped a lot! Today my levels are:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 3ppm

Today is 1 week with running my system.

Should I continue to wait before putting anything in? I only ask because I've been watching the local pet shop inventory of bettas and they just received some fresh fish and there's a few that look really great

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Replies
Views