Betta + Angelfish?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by livrich, Apr 22, 2017.

1. livrichNew MemberMember

Hi! I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 juvenile Angelfish and neon Tetras (they're going to be upgraded when the angels get larger, they're only quarter-sized now). I was wondering if I can put in a betta with them? My angelfish are super nice in the "community" and never go after other fish. They keep mostly to themselves and don't bother others. Can I put in a betta with them? It would be the same size as the angels, fins and all. I've heard that if you keep angels with other fish from a young age, they'll get along better? I would also choose a non-aggressive betta, if that helps .

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

No, the neons and bettas are not temp compatible. Bettas need upper 70s, normally 78F. Neons like lower 70s.

As far as betta aggression, you never know its true personality until it matures which can be weeks or months. Just like the angels, when you buy bettas they are juveniles. For the most part, they are peaceful. After a couple weeks and months, they become mature and that is also when they get their true personality. That is why some people say their betta attacked their other fish "out of no where". Also not all bettas become aggressive. Bettas can also be shy, this is usually because bettas normally live by themselves, when kept with other fish they get stressed by them.

The angels are peaceful when they are juveniles, like most semi-aggressive fish, they can be kept together when young but once mature will start to take on their personality.

3. livrichNew MemberMember

Ok. Thanks! Could I consider keeping a betta with my mollies?

4. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

What size tank? What are the genders of the molly? Are the mollies the only thing?

The problem with mollies is that they can harm the betta. Mollies get big, depending on the type you get they get 3-5 inches. Males can also be aggressive and nip the betta, but even females can do nipping

I think it just best for you to not have a betta with other fish :)

5. el337Fishlore LegendMember

You're already overstocked with the angels and neon tetras. Plus, the angels need much warmer water than the neons. It's best to stock for the current tank you have and not what you plan to have later. Many things can come up later on that may prevent you from getting that larger tank. Juvenile angels may not be aggressive now but as they mature (and they do grow rather quickly, IME), you may see more aggression esp if they pair up and start to breed. They're also known to eat neons as they grow larger.

I wouldn't add any more fish and I'd rehome the angels. You could then stock the tank with more compatible fish.

6. Kolegrundy92Valued MemberMember

Swap your neon out for cardinals, they like warmer water I have them at 81° in my plecos breeding rank.

7. livrichNew MemberMember

Ok, thanks for the suggestions! I thought cardinal Tetras were even smaller than neons?

8. livrichNew MemberMember

Yeah, you're probably right. Mine are fully grown at 2 inches (I think they were stunted at the store). I have 3, two females and a male (and some snails).

9. Axolittle1New MemberMember

NO!! Don't put the Betta in with angelfish. They are very aggressive towards bettas!

10. livrichNew MemberMember

Really? I've heard both sides- some people say you can house them together, but in a huge tank so they can have enough territory but others say no way!