Betta and White Cloud Minnows?

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has tried this. I know that everyone says that Betta's shouldn't be mixed with anything, but my White Clouds are smallish, and they haven't bothered the Zebra's they've been living with. Think they'd be a safe speices to keep with a Betta? Thanks,

Cory

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would be concerned that the white clouds would nip the betta's fins, and I would be concerned that the betta would attack the white clouds.

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I probably won't do it especially since Zaboomafoo (Betta) just got settled into his "new" home. Thanks,

Cory

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since the white clouds and the Betta would be occupying the same level in the tank it could be a problem.
If the tank is big enough a fish that likes the bottom(corys, otos, bristlenose etc) would be ideal.
Carol

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A little off topic, but I went to the pet store and tried to buy an Oto, but the lady didn't say it would survive in my tank because I didn't have live plants. If I put Algae Wafers in, would it be okay? I know sometimes PetSmart workers just blow smoke sometimes, but I wanted to confirm with some experts

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never heard of any specific complaints about White Clouds and Bettas but the chances are since Zaboomafoo is already in the tank he has the whole thing staked out as his territory. To try at this point to add to the tank would irritate him mightily and bettas are territorial fish if they are nothing else.

If you want other fish in the tank with a betta, usually the recommendation is that the other fish should be in the tank and settled in before adding the betta as he is likely to get along with neighbors much better if they are there before he stakes out his territory.

To do this in addition to the cycle process will make it all the harder for your tank to cycle as the bioload will be greater. You should not add anything to the tank anyway until the tank is cycled. I should ask, is your other tank cycled? If so you can use a piece of the filter media to "seed" the new filter in Zaboomafoo's tank and the cycle will take a very short time in comparison to the process of doing it without the seeding material. You can also take a sock and put some of the gravel from the other tank in it and put it in Zaboomafoo's tank and it will also help the cycle process to hasten. I just read the aquarium information and your cycle is not that old if it is completed. You may not want to mess with the filter as the bacterial bed is not that well established.

Rose

Last edited:

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never heard of any specific complaints about White Clouds and Bettas but the chances are since Zaboomafoo is already in the tank he has the whole thing staked out as his territory. To try at this point to add to the tank would irritate him mightily and bettas are territorial fish if they are nothing else.

If you want other fish in the tank with a betta, usually the recommendation is that the other fish should be in the tank and settled in before adding the betta as he is likely to get along with neighbors much better if they are there before he stakes out his territory.

To do this in addition to the cycle process will make it all the harder for your tank to cycle as the bioload will be greater. You should not add anything to the tank anyway until the tank is cycled. I should ask, is your other tank cycled? If so you can use a piece of the filter media to "seed" the new filter in Zaboomafoo's tank and the cycle will take a very short time in comparison to the process of doing it without the seeding material. You can also take a sock and put some of the gravel from the other tank in it and put it in Zaboomafoo's tank and it will also help the cycle process to hasten.

Rose
Okay, I might just leave him alone Rose, have you seen his "new" new tank yet?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
She was probably right, but for the wrong reason. Otos need really stable water parameters, which are hard to maintain in a betta tank, due to the small size of the tank. I think they also like having driftwood to chew on, though I'm not sure about that.
Yes, they will eat algae wafers. They also like zucchini.
Lastly, they prefer to be in groups, at least with two, preferably more.

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I think I may just keep him by himself, he seems happy Otto's seem like they wouldn't work too well and I couldn't find Cory's last time I looked. Maybe a Bristlenose when my tank is cycled...*dreams*

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos do very well in a betta tank but it is true that they do like real plants too. BUT I have had them in tanks without them they just stand a much better chance of living and doing well in a planted tank with at least one plant. (does not have to be a large one and bettas like them too)

You can even get a small plant like a Java Moss that does not have to be planted but can be tied to a rock or piece of decoration with some nylon thread and it will be your bettas favorite spot and give the Otos something to be "green" with.

No I have not seen the tank yet, do you have pics posted in the Betta Pictures section? I will be sure to look for them.

Rose

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, just down a bit more in my post that you've helped me with some much

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw the pictures in the Betta Photos. They are beautiful and Zaboomafoo is a postively breathtaking fish. He is very unique and looks very healthy and fit. You obviously take good care of him.

Congratulations to you for having found such a fine fish and to him for having a good betta dad.

Welcome to Zaboomafoo!!

Rose

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you Not bad for a Wally-World rescued Betta

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom