5 Gallon Tank Betta and the New Filter... Advice Appreciated

peachsonas

Hi! I have a little blue veiltail named Oil. He's a feisty thing and loves to explore! I got him under a week ago and promptly got him a nice 5.5 gallon tank. Fast forward to a week later, and he's perked up significantly as his living conditions have upgraded since being in his temp. tank. Nice java moss, a floating log, nice, warm water. He built his first bubble nest earlier today!

Today, I got a filter for the tank, since I don't feel confident in my abilities in trying to "filter" the tank only with plants (this is my first betta, so I'm not doing anything advanced on my first go-around.) Usually, king Oil likes to take a rest in his log or play in the moss, but he's curious about the filter. It's a Tetra Whisper (the kind that hangs over the tank) and I've buffered the flow with a bottle so he doesn't get blown away by the current.

He's been venturing towards the intake tube and he kind of stays there for a moment until he realizes - oh no, my fins are swaying towards it and it's about to suck me in! It's a covered tube, so he won't go in, but I don't want him to tear his fins. What can I use to make sure he doesn't get hurt?

bettafairy

Pieces of nylon from a pair of tights can cover filter exit and entrance holes and still allow water flow. It works super well for bettas.

Upvote 0

peachsonas

Pieces of nylon from a pair of tights can cover filter exit and entrance holes and still allow water flow. It works super well for bettas.
thank you, i'll definitely try this!

Upvote 0

Jojo205

Good luck, and make sure you cycle the tank carefully and do plenty of WCs ;)

Upvote 0

peachsonas

Good luck, and make sure you cycle the tank carefully and do plenty of WCs ;)
will do! thank you much :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Axanna
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
Maryellen