Betta And Tankmates?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently bought (yesterday, actually) a shortfin female betta, and she is absolutely gorgeous and active. She moves around and explores the tank, which has two pieces of cholla wood and a large driftwood. I had snails in there, the uglier baby mystery snails mainly to eat the algae build up, though she nips at them a little bit. What tank mates would you suggest. I also am aware of the debate of whether to add tankmates in a 10 gallon, but it's been done before. Would maybe a small school, 5ish, of orange von rio tetra or ember tetra or something be okay? Or if not, a single fish or anything that is robust? Thanks. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
*Forgot to mention, tank is at 81-82 degrees.*

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the dwarf rasboras and tetras are okay in a 10 gallon. So rio or embers would work. Another option is going with some dwarf species of corydoras. Just watch the betta for aggresion. A desnly planted aquarium will help with this.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't risk it a 20 would be better for tank mates. You would have to get a fish that stays at the bottom otherwise it will bother the betta or compete for food, but there are not really many fish that can do that in a 10, so I would just not do it. Currently, I have my male betta by himself in a 10 gallon it's beautiful and he looks fine by himself.

• Edit-If you are getting a fish the betta won't interact with it or become friends. Just make sure that the fish don't gang up and beat up the betta

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All the fish I have in mind are very gentle, and I'm doing more research for it

devin s.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My brother has 3 guppies w/ his female betta, and they're doing fine. We've never seen any nipping, but I guess it also depends on the fish's temperament.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gu
devin s. said:
My brother has 3 guppies w/ his female betta, and they're doing fine. We've never seen any nipping, but I guess it also depends on the fish's temperament.
ppies are usually risky because they have long flowing fins and colors, and the betta usually doesn't want them near them, as they look like a betta. I think you lucked out lol and got a docile betta.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry but bettas with tankmate are not recommended for anything less than 20g. Bettas are far too aggressive to be in a community in such a small tank, there is a very high risk that he will kill the others.

Corys and tetra both need at least 20g because they are very active.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WanhiBetta said:
Sorry but bettas with tankmate are not recommended for anything less than 20g. Bettas are far too aggressive to be in a community in such a small tank, there is a very high risk that he will kill the others.

Corys and tetra both need at least 20g because they are very active.
I've heard of people keeping otocinclus in a 10 gallon with betta fish, but only the otocinclus. Thoughts? If there is nothing I can add, I'll just either finish my 30 gallon or **** out the 10 gallon with more stem plants.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with otocinclus and betta im a 10g is not really the betta... if he's not too aggressive, oto will not bother him as much as other fish would. The real problem is that most people find that oto are really active and that 10g may be too small for them. But If you set up a bigger tank the oto would most likely be good tankmates!

Edit: after reading a bit more about otos, if you want to put them with a betta be aure that they are temperature compatible. The one's I've seen like cooler water, around 74-75

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's decided, I'll keep her by herself with only snails.
WanhiBetta said:
The biggest problem with otocinclus and betta im a 10g is not really the betta... if he's not too aggressive, oto will not bother him as much as other fish would. The real problem is that most people find that oto are really active and that 10g may be too small for them. But If you set up a bigger tank the oto would most likely be good tankmates!

Edit: after reading a bit more about otos, if you want to put them with a betta be aure that they are temperature compatible. The one's I've seen like cooler water, around 74-75

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom