5 Gallon Tank betta and snail

Chicken farmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in my 5 gallon i have one female betta, 6 large anubias and a few misc. plants. it is filtered and stays warm with out heater. 1-2 gallons changed and vac. every 2 weeks.

i was wondering if the plants are getting enough nutrients? would a snail help? or what else?

also she is a very docile betta. could i add 5 ember tetras or other small fish? suggestions?

what kind of snail? i would like one to eat algae and any left over food.

i will check with my lfs, but i am pretty sure none carry snails. would any of u sell me a couple?

thanks. i have a question or 2 more but i cant remember right know.

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I tried different snails with my Betta fish..... they went spastic to say the least, flared like there was no tomorrow and scared me senseless!!!
Ok, on a less dramatic note, I tried a snail in the tank and my Betta fish ate it. Snails (mine at least) are not really good at eating algae and they seemed to give my little guys the impression they were under attack from aliens. Not a good match at all.:gathering:

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Harpua (on this forum) sells nerite snails. They're excellent algae eaters and a smaller (but pretty) snail that will work well in a 5g tank. They also don't have the long antennae-like things that apple/mystery snails have and that bettas like to poke at.

You could also give a go at ghost shrimp.

As a side note, I would feed less if you find yourself with leftover food. Pellets are also better than flakes because they are easier to count and feed with a lesser likelihood of extras. I'd only feed a few pellets a day.

I'd be paranoid about even the most docile betta flipping out and murdering the tetras one day. Or on the flip side, if the tetras decided to get hostile and nip your betta's tail.

If you want a tank buddy, I'd shoot for a snail or shrimps. There are cherry, yellow, and blueberry shrimp varieties that are gorgeous, and less likely to be nibbled on a well planted tank.

Chicken farmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i usually don't have left over food. i feed pellets also. once in a while she spits out the pellet or it sinks to the bottom. so for the snail should i supliment with algae wafers and shrimp pellets?

Jayfeather9

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also I wouldn't put any tetras or other FISH in the tank with the betta but a few snails would work.

Chicken farmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
okay thanks. i will get a nerite, i like zebras, and maybe a few shrimp.

my betta is old but is in good health. but anyway what are some fish or frog options after she passes.

what i know of is, pea puffer dwarf frog, celestial pearl danios. what else? thanks.

alysalouise

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
These are you options for a 5 gallon AFTER your betta passes (well besides the shrimp)

Scarlet Badis
Ember Tetra
Sparkling Gourami
Mosquito Rasbora or one of the similar Boraras species
Corydoras pygmaeus or Corydoras habrosus or Corydoras hastatus
1 Dwarf Puffer
Celestial Pearl Danio
male Endlers Livebearer or male Guppy
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
Freshwater Shrimp

I've asked what i could keep in a 5 gallon before, and that is the list i was given

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom