Question Betta and Pygmy cories... what do you think??

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys!!

So, I’ve got to admit it. Hi, my name is Hannah, and I’m addicted to aquariums.

I’ve got 3 now, a 20 and two 10 gallons. The two tens have a male and female betta in them respectively, and I have to say bettas are probably my favorite fish. I love them so much. The 20 has neon tetras, guppies and a male gourami and I love it for a community tank. It’s had me fall in love with guppies too!!

But, I’ve been wanting another male betta pretty bad. A koi plakat to be specific!! But I would love for him to have some tank mates, but I’m nervous. The neons were originally in with my male betta, but as he got bigger it didn’t work out so I got the 20. So I’m pretty nervous about tankmates. But I have guppies with my female and African dwarf frogs with my male currently, and it’s working out great! So that’s why I’m conflicted.

So I guess my question is, do I play it safe and get a 5 gallon for my next betta, or try and do tankmates?? I would love a school of six Pygmy corydoras. I think they would be the perfect size for a ten gallon. What are your guys’ opinions??? Would you have any other fish that would be good tankmates?? Thanks!

I’ve also been doing research and am also curious about 3 platies with a betta???

Or heck, even endler guppies. They’re really small and don’t have long fins. I have them in two of my tanks but haven’t with a male betta yet. Sorry, I guess this question is betta tankmates in general23]23]
IMG_2584.JPG

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! It is not advised to put other fish with a betta in a 10 gal tank or smaller because of the limited space which could cause stress for your betta and danger for your other fish. Inverts/frogs work pretty well in a 10 gallon though, which you already have.

If you want to add cories with a betta, probably get a 20 gal I'd say :) Or if money doesn't allow a 20, you could get a 10 and experiment with other types of snails/shrimp or more frogs

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! It is not advised to put other fish with a betta in a 10 gal tank or smaller because of the limited space which could cause stress for your betta and danger for your other fish. Inverts/frogs work pretty well in a 10 gallon though, which you already have.

If you want to add cories with a betta, probably get a 20 gal I'd say :) Or if money doesn't allow a 20, you could get a 10 and experiment with other types of snails/shrimp or more frogs
Sadly that’s what I was thinking too honestly. I was hoping pygmies or endlers would work since they’re smaller, for a ten gallon. But when I had the black neons in a ten with my male, once he started to grow it started to get crowded.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 long with a male betta, 12 cardinal tetras and 2 kuhli loach (getting 4 more loach when I can find some).

The fish have only been together for about 36 hours so it’s way too early to tell but while watching the betta he completely ignores the tetras. And the tetra play among themselves and ignore the betta.

jmarcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've done pygmies with bettas. Worked fine, but every fish has different personalities. Just remember don't add any colourful fish and you shouldn't have a issue.

Ember tetras worked as well for me in the past

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
For a community tank with a Betta, better stick to 20g and larger. Even the pygmy corys are smaller, they would like to be in larger groups, and therefore larger tanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom