Betta and Otocinclus?

1. brhebert Member Member

I have a single betta and a mystery snail that wont eat algea off my plants or decorations. I think Otocinclus would be gfreat because i have a 10g. How many would be ok in my tank?

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would just wipe them off by hand instead of adding them but if you really want them I'd get around 6. You will need to supplement their food as a 10 will not supply them with enough to eat long term.

3. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

I have four otos in a 10 gallon with a betta. He doesn't bother them, in fact often sleeps right next to them on the gravel or plants. I do add algae wafers and zucchini once in a while. The tank gets a lot of natural light though and those four otos are chunky butts. LOL

4. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I had 5 otos with my betta but he did start to harass them. He never nipped but he kept them cornered. They were in a 10 gallon together, but I moved my betta to a 7.5 and my otos to a 20. Just watch carefully if you decide to go this route. You could also try a nerite. Mine small nerites do a wonderful job of cleaning algae off of plants.