betta and neons???

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey ive got a betta in a little (fully cycled) 40L tank complete with 3 stage filter and heater lights and hood. The tank looks a little empty so i was thinking of getting 6-10 neons to put with him, but i want some advice on betta/neons compatibility before i do. Also i have a 20L aswell and was thinking of getting another boy and some neons in that too but would that be enough room for 6 neons and a betta???

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It really depends on the betta, I always used to have a betta in my community tank but recently I have decided that it was a bad idea when I had a male that got a little too aggressive and I did some research. I have heard many instances where bettas have been kept peacefully with neon tetras but I have also heard many stories of bettas who at first tolerate the company but later tear the neons to shreds in a matter of hours. If you still decide to do this I would go about it with caution and be sure to have a place to move the tetras if the betta decides he doesnt like them. I have heard some good things about keeping bettas with cory cats without any problems, Im sure someone who has done this can add some more input

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not going to be a good combination IMO. Bettas can turn nasty without warning like Bass Master mentioned & Neons can get a bit nipy at times & might take a liking to the Bettas long fins. I would put your Betta in the 20lt & then use the 40 to house 10 Neons. Bettas are always better off on thier own.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not going to be a good combination IMO. Bettas can turn nasty without warning like Bass Master mentioned & Neons can get a bit nipy at times & might take a liking to the Bettas long fins. I would put your Betta in the 20lt & then use the 40 to house 10 Neons. Bettas are always better off on thier own.
+1

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have decided that it was a bad idea when I had a male that got a little too aggressive
Indeed, not suggested. I had success for a month, then I arrived home from work each day to an eaten scrap of my cardinal tetras. Betta is alone now.
We see LOTS of these stories here. I think you're better off just putting the betta alone.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It really depends on the individual fish. I don't believe there is a "one fits all" formula. I've never had a problem keeping a betta in a community tank. I currently have a female betta housed with about 10 neon tetras and they get along just fine. Of course she doesn't really have the fins to nip. Use your own judgement and keep an eye on things.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom