Betta And Neon Tetra Important

1. P

Potato head Valued Member Member

Hi, i have a 30l with 5 neon tetras and one female betta.
    One of my neons has had white dots on his eyes for a while, but recently i spotted the dots on the betta.
    There are one on each eye of the fish.
    It is fully cycled
    Can i treat it with melafix or very frequent water changes? Thanks

2. AntimatterAsterism

AntimatterAsterism New Member Member

Can I see a picture?

3. OP
    OP
    P

Hi, my light is off, and the dots on the betta is really hard to see. I can send a pic of the tetra i took earlier though

4. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

Can you post pictures? From your description, it sounds like you may be seeing the start of Ich. IME, Melafix does nothing. I would look into another medication that will treat Ich.

Also, yes, water changes are good. But if it is Ich, they won't take care of it completely without either medicating, OR slowly raising the temp above 80 and keeping it there for at least a week.

5. AntimatterAsterism

Yeah! Can I see whatever you have? It sounds like it could be ich, or the start of it. Are your fish lethargic or rubbing on stones and fixtures in the tank at all?

6. OP
    OP
    P

Screenshot_2018-05-20-21-55-48-684_com.android.chrome.jpg

Also that pic is old.. I have treateed the fin

7. AntimatterAsterism

The picture quality is a little rough- which I don't blame you for, those little guys are TINY. Is it only on his eyes? Are the spots small, like grains of salt? It's a little hard to tell, but the closest thing I can personally think of is ich. Is your fish acting off at all?

8. PatientStars

It's hard to tell by that photo, but if they are rubbing on any decorations/substrate, or seem to be gasping for air, it is likely Ich.

Look into Maracyn II. Or research other Ich meds.

9. OP
    OP
    P

Nah, they are both acting fine...
    I dont think it looks like salt, as its more cloudy than pure white

10. PatientStars

If it's only their eyes, it could be early stages of dropsy, which is a symptom caused by an underlying infection. Maracyn can be used to treat that as well, I would start treating asap. If dropsy is caught early, your fish have a chance to recover.

11. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Absolutely do not use melafix, pimafix, or even bettafix on a betta, they all contain tea tree oil which has been know to suffocate and kill labyrinth fish like bettas.
    There's almost no chance that this is Dropsy. Dropsy is kindey failure and can cause Popeye, swelling of the body, and pineconing scales, but cannot cause white specks and cloudy eyes. Additionally, kanaplex and epsom salt is more effective against Dropsy. Also, Dropsy is very rarely contagious and the only case I've heard of it being contagious was when it was caused by a parasite that directly attacks the kidneys.
    OP, are the dots reflective when you shine a light on your fish? About how big would you estimate them? Do they bulge, look like tiny attachments, or just swollen skin?
    Edit: I just took another look, please check out columnaris, see if that looks like it. It can resemble ich in early stages but is actually bacterial and not parasitic. It spreads very quickly, but Furan 2 is a good treatment.
    Edit 2: how long have you had the tetras and betta, and what temperature is your water at?

12. PatientStars

I totally meant pop eye! I literally ha e no idea why I wrote dropsy. Yikes! I guess my brain and my hands are having a bit of a disconnect today. Glad you caught that!!!

13. Rtessy

Haha, we've all been there! I was pretty confused, because you'd been giving pretty nice advice before, then bam, dropsy, lol.

14. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I believe this is a parasitic fluke that lives in the eye until the fish is eaten by another predator and the parasite is passed on.

I have studied these on my fish biology degree course.

As it lives in the eye it is impossible to treat. On the other hand it does not seem to significantly affect the fish.

15. Rtessy

Oh, I haven't heard of that parasite, interesting. How common is it? Is it similar to ectoparasites?

16. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

It is very common but unlike you many people are not observant enough to notice it.

Ectoparasites can be more easily treated as they are exposed to the surrounding water which can be treated with meds.

Living in the eye is the perfect place to live as the host fish immune system is limited in order to maintain clarity in the lens.

17. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

If it turns out to be Popeye, Gypsy 13 helped me finally get my moor's under control. Use Kanaflex and Furan-2 together for 10 days. Watch to be sure there is no bloating as this will be sign of kidney damage. If so, discontinue. At the same time, you can do epsom salt dips...3 times a day. 1 tsp in 1 G for 2 minutes each time. I thought my moor was going to lose her eye but it is almost back to normal.

18. PatientStars

Hahaha I can imagine you reading that and just being completely confused. I still can't believe I typed dropsy!

19. OP
    OP
    P

Hi, it isnt shiny/ reflective
    Also it looks like its on top of the eye, but it isnt too prominent