Betta and mystery snail

Isobel

Reaction score
I added a mystery snail to my Betta's 5 gal aquarium yesterday. The problem is, every time the snail sets out to explore the tank, my betta swims up and nips at his antennae! Is this possibly just due to the novelty of the snail, or will my betta continue to torture the snail unless I separate them?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sparkling Diamonds

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had this same exact situation happen. Soon enough, your fish will realise that he's here to stay and they'll learn to love each other.  The little nips are out of curiousity. It's like "What the **** are you???" It's kind of cute, in a weird sort of way. It'll stop soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the snail either, they're pretty tough little guys, so he'll be fine.

Isobel

Reaction score
Thank you so much SD, that's a huge relief

Sparkling Diamonds

Valued Member
Reaction score
You're welcome! Welcome to Fish Lore, by the way.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy the forum!! Why dont you show us soem pictures of your betta?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, that Betta curiosity is something. He should be fine with his snail tankmate though, I've even read of some Bettas that sleep beside their snail buddy.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He's probably just curious--when bettas are truly aggressive they kind of go nuts. As said above, he'll get over it and snails are pretty tough and resourceful.

Aquaman

Reaction score
Hi Isobel,

Same thing happened when I first got my Betta. He nipped at the snail and I actually moved him to a bowl as a "time-out". I did this 2-3 times and he finally got the picture. It wasn't long afterwards that the Betta became very attached to the snail and would sleep with his chin on the snail's shell. Not sure the snail was all that thrilled about it, though.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquaman said:
Hi Isobel,

Same thing happened when I first got my Betta. He nipped at the snail and I actually moved him to a bowl as a "time-out". I did this 2-3 times and he finally got the picture. It wasn't long afterwards that the Betta became very attached to the snail and would sleep with his chin on the snail's shell. Not sure the snail was all that thrilled about it, though.
LOL.. Bettas are funny guys.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom