Betta and mystery snail

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kailyn, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kailyn

Kailyn Valued Member Member

I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a male betta. I was thinking about putting a mystery snail in with him. Do you think that is too much bio load for a 5.5 gallon?

2. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I have one with my bettas in each of my 4 5 gallons and they all wonderful ;)

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I had one in my 5 gallon and it did not do anything to the bioload.
    I would say no more than one though depending on the size - two if they are small :)

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I disagree with what Junne said about 2 if they are small... remember they will grow so plan for the future and only get one... I follow the rule of 1 apple/mystery snail per 5 gallons of water... as for betta relations I had 2 mystery snails in each of my non assassin snail tanks and all my tanks have bettas never had any issues! but always have a plan b in case you betta turns out to be an evil mastermind ;)

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

2 are not going to cause a water quality problem, small or big, if it's just them and a betta. As long as they are getting enough to eat I don't see a problem.

6. monkeypie102

Well maybe it is just mine that are pooping machines... I still say 1 to 5g but to each their own...

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't disagree with that, I just don't see two mystery snails and a betta creating a surplus of ammonia or excessive nitrates.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Mystery snails can poop a massive amount!

9. monkeypie102

You're right, I guess they probably wouldn't but put out that much but I would also worry about possible breeding as well...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice