Betta and mystery snail

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kailyn, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kailyn

KailynValued MemberMember

I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a male betta. I was thinking about putting a mystery snail in with him. Do you think that is too much bio load for a 5.5 gallon?

2. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

I have one with my bettas in each of my 4 5 gallons and they all wonderful ;)

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I had one in my 5 gallon and it did not do anything to the bioload.
    I would say no more than one though depending on the size - two if they are small :)

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I disagree with what Junne said about 2 if they are small... remember they will grow so plan for the future and only get one... I follow the rule of 1 apple/mystery snail per 5 gallons of water... as for betta relations I had 2 mystery snails in each of my non assassin snail tanks and all my tanks have bettas never had any issues! but always have a plan b in case you betta turns out to be an evil mastermind ;)

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

2 are not going to cause a water quality problem, small or big, if it's just them and a betta. As long as they are getting enough to eat I don't see a problem.

6. monkeypie102

Well maybe it is just mine that are pooping machines... I still say 1 to 5g but to each their own...

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I don't disagree with that, I just don't see two mystery snails and a betta creating a surplus of ammonia or excessive nitrates.

8. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Mystery snails can poop a massive amount!

9. monkeypie102

You're right, I guess they probably wouldn't but put out that much but I would also worry about possible breeding as well...