Betta and molly together

Fishowner24
Can a betta and a molly go together I have a betta in a huge tank and I need to seperate a molly so she can have her babies. the betta isn't that active also.

grac3
how big is your tank?

Fishowner24
grac3
yeah they should be fine! just make sure you have a spare tank in case something goes wrong

Fishowner24
grac3 said:
yeah they should be fine! just make sure you have a spare tank in case something goes wrong
ok

JustAFishServant
20 isn't necessarily big, but it is suitable for a single Betta and Molly. As long as you keep a close eye and rearrange a few things in the tank (so the Betta doesn't think this all is her/his territory), everything should turn out fine. But as grac3 mentioned, keep a spare tank or even a breeder box around just in case the Betta isn't as peaceful as you thought... ;)

Fishowner24
JustAFishServant said:
20 isn't necessarily big, but it is suitable for a single Betta and Molly. As long as you keep a close eye and rearrange a few things in the tank (so the Betta doesn't think this all is her/his territory), everything should turn out fine. But as grac3 mentioned, keep a spare tank or even a breeder box around just in case the Betta isn't as peaceful as you thought... ;)
yeah the betta has a big piece of mopani wood he hides behind

JustAFishServant
Fishowner24 said:
yeah the betta has a big piece of mopani wood he hides behind
I see! Anything else in the tank? If so, I would highly suggest rearranging everything just so he's less likely to act territorially against his new "neighbor" ;)

Fishowner24
JustAFishServant said:
I see! Anything else in the tank? If so, I would highly suggest rearranging everything just so he's less likely to act territorially against his new "neighbor" ;)
no but I can add stuff

JustAFishServant
Fishowner24 said:
no but I can add stuff
Sure! I would suggest maybe moving the driftwood to another angle, in hopes that this will reduce any territorial aggression. Add a few hides as well :)

Fishowner24
JustAFishServant said:
Sure! I would suggest maybe moving the driftwood to another angle, in hopes that this will reduce any territorial aggression. Add a few hides as well :)
ok

GuppyGal7
Give it a go but make sure to keep an eye on them. If your molly is being chased or hiding I'd divide the tank or remove her. it really depends on your betta.

Debbie1986
I had a betta kill a baby catfish in under 10 minutes ( while I was in shower.)

'Oh look they're side by side ' betta was really sizing up other fish for kill..

Only house bettas with schooling fish of 5-6 fish ( tetras etc) so they cannot target a single fish.

school fish act like zebra stripes - destroys focus on 1 individual in the herd. when solo, there's no protection.

Line of sight won't matter. Cannot undo hunting instinct and desire to keep resources to self. A tank seperator is best option.

Betta'sAnonymous
A betta with a molly. Might be the only time the betta isn't the biggest jerk in the tank!

Fishowner24
Debbie1986 said:
I had a betta kill a baby catfish in under 10 minutes ( while I was in shower.)

'Oh look they're side by side ' betta was really sizing up other fish for kill..

Only house bettas with schooling fish of 5-6 fish ( tetras etc) so they cannot target a single fish.

school fish act like zebra stripes - destroys focus on 1 individual in the herd. when solo, there's no protection.

Line of sight won't matter. Cannot undo hunting instinct and desire to keep resources to self. A tank seperator is best option.
I could put the male in also

Aquaholic
Fishowner24 said:
Going off of what grac3 said I agree! Yeah you should be good! I was going to say if you didn’t have a separate tank you can always get a divider to put in the tank so they are separated.

Fishowner24
Aquaholic said:
Going off of what grac3 said I agree! Yeah you should be good! I was going to say if you didn’t have a separate tank you can always get a divider to put in the tank so they are separated.
I have a divider but I dont know how to put it on and I lost a clip

Top Bottom