Betta And Minnows? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ThePetPavilion, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ThePetPavilion

ThePetPavilionValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a 5.5g and I want to give my betta some companions. I don't have to much money to spare, but there are some feeder minnows at my LFS, so I was thinking of getting some feeder minnows for my tank. Are they compatible? I'll make sure there are plants for hiding. I was thinking of maybe 3 or 4 minnows? What kind of minnow is a feeder minnow? Edit: My water temp is about 76- 78 F with out a heater, it doesn't need a heater.

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think fathead minnows are the common name. They would do fine in water parameters for the betta, but the betta will not be too pleased with his "friends" especially an active fish such as a minnow. Guppies are a better choice imo as they are calmer and will stimulate him with their colors better than the minnows would. You can ask for feeder guppies, they are usually the same price or cheaper.

3. OP
    OP
    ThePetPavilion

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    They don't have any feeder guppies, I would like to try feeder minnows, if they don't work I will put them in my 10g. Edit: I think my betta would do better with active fish rather then calm fish, and the guppy I have is incredibly active.

4. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your choice. They might tear up the bettas fins. Also parasite are common in them, so you would probably want to treat them for both internal and external parasites.

5. OP
    OP
    ThePetPavilion

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay. Thanks. I will try to choose healthy fish if I get them.

6. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I read to the end before I chimed in I have kept many bettas over the years and here's what I know - bettas don't mind being alone but they will tolerate other but only if those fish are slower than they are that's why you always see them with snails - in a 5 I've kept them with corys they seem not to mind watching them since they are on the bottom but super quick nippy fish drive them nuts! they never get any rest. Now the minnows? - get some - the prices are unbeatable - just treat them for parasites and put them in their own tank and then watch them how else are you going to get any experience? We all gotta grow sometime

7. OP
    OP
    ThePetPavilion

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay, I might try it, if it doesn't work I will put them in the 10g with fish who wouldn't mind them.