betta and male guppies attacking

1. fisharegreat8962 Member Member

hey, so i might be adding a demon Betta to a tank full of male guppies to start a community tank. the male guppies are already in there, but i just wanna be sure that the Betta won't attack my guppies and vice versa. this is a 20g aquarium, so I'm not overcrowding, because there's only about 8 guppies in there..

p.s. i am aware that they eat guppy fry, but as ive stated above, its an all male guppy tank, the gups are all fully grown.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thx

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's generally considered a bad idea to mix bettas and guppies, especially guppies because their bright colours and flowing finnage can set them off. It's like they think they're seeing another male betta!

It's also possible that the guppies will nip at the betta's fins. I wouldn't do it.

3. fisharegreat8962 Member Member

okay thanks! there's a lot of information out there about this stuff but it's all overwhelmed by controversy, so i just wanted to hear it from someone who has facts and experience to back it up. thanks so much!

4. octavio Member Member

I have guppies in 5, 10, 20 and 75 gallon tanks. Each tank has an expensive male Betta swimming around in it. I've had zero (0) problems keeping Bettas in community tanks as long as the other fish are fast swimmers and docile. That means no keeping Bettas with tiger barbs (or any kind of barb), cichlids and large nippy tetras (such as black skirted tetras). Otherwise, I actually recommend you keep a Betta with your male guppies. At the worst, the males will gang up around feeding time and you'll need to feed the guppies and the Betta at separate ends of the tank. Good luck.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You're right, bettas are not the killers that they've been portrayed as. However, the OP has already said that this betta is a "demon" which would lead me to suspect that he's more aggressive than the average.

You can take the chance, but always have a back-up plan if things go south!

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Often it's the other way around. Fast moving nippy fish can stress a betta to the point of illness.

7. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

My insanely peaceful male betta has only ever flared at male guppies. My guppies also wouldn't leave him be. However he gets along with snails and yellow shrimp (except he hates red ones) no problem and spent a few days with ember tetras and a sparkling gourami no issues

8. fisharegreat8962 Member Member

I wasn't calling him a little demon, that's just the name of them: demon betta. from what i've researched about them, they seem peaceful enough, just unsure about full grown male guppies.

I think I'll try it, but I do have a little 5 gallon that he can live in temporarily until I find him something better just in case things go downhill. I'll be sure to monitor them.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've never heard of a "demon Betta" and I can't find anything with a Google search either. Is this maybe a marketing thing just with your LPS? Unless it's a different species the Betta normally available in pet stores is a single species.

10. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Put the guppies in first and pick a day to introduce the betta you can watch them for at least an hour or two. 5 gallons is ok for a betta alone but if he can get along he'll love the 20 gallon.

11. Fishoholic23 Member Member

Do you have a pic of your "demon betta" I just want to see him plus we might be able to identify him differently