Betta And Guppie

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I know this has been answered a million times before with both a positive and negative response. For a while I had three guppy fry that were too small to give to the pet store, maybe a week old. I threw them in my betta tank as a snack and one has now become his friend and they get along. The little runt is *maybe* half an inch long but that's pushing it. His colour is starting to come in (very pretty yellow considering mom was a feeder guppie) so I'm aware of the colour/big fins that can cause issues. (As well as they need to be in groups but I don't have a big enough tank for more) Once he's bigger I might bring him back. BUT seeing as they're getting along now, can they stay together because the three other fry in growing out in a different tank I'm *pretty* sure are female and I DONT want any more fry right now. Oh, and it's a 5g filtered and heated (not high enough, it's a cheap heater and gonna get a better one when I find one)

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure what your question is but the tank is too small for a fully grown guppy, that being said as the fry is still growing you don't have to move him straight away. You definitely can't keep him there long term though.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure what your question is but the tank is too small for a fully grown tank, that being said as the fry is still growing you don't have to move him straight away. You definitely can't keep him there long term though.
Pretty much if short term he can stay in there. I know it's too small for more then just the betta but mom's gonna kill me if I set up a 5th tank. once he's bigger I'm gonna bring all four back. (The three females plus the male)

goplecos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the Betta doesn't care then keep him in there. I have had 1 Betta that was not safe for a community tank. IMO we have bred Bettas for color, finnage, etc that they are becoming less and less aggressive, because they aren't being bred to fight. Again if the Betta is fine with the fish just leave him in there.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the Betta doesn't care then keep him in there. I have had 1 Betta that was not safe for a community tank. IMO we have bred Bettas for color, finnage, etc that they are becoming less and less aggressive, because they aren't being bred to fight. Again if the Betta is fine with the fish just leave him in there.
I make sure the betta gets fed, that little stinker can boogie, so so far so good.

Castiel*

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they get along fine, just let them be. If you can keep the tank parameters in check, and they get along (I have had guppies who nipped betta fins) just don't keep more then the one guppy with him if you do.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom