Betta And German Rams?

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a mostly empty 20 gallon planted tank with a 40 gallon filter. All that's in it as a baby "pair" of German Rams, one male and one female (each are about an inch) and a baby horned nerite snail. So I've thought about maybe a school of 3-4 Harlequin Rasboras. But I had the idea to maybe have a betta? I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this combo?
I'm really not concerned with breeding the rams. I only got a male and female because that's what I read was the best way to keep them. I don't know whether they're properly "paired", nor do I do know how to tell, I use this term as I have a male and female.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, the BEtta would be intimidated by the bright colours of the Rams, and Rams can also get very aggressive if they breed. Even if you don't want to breed them doesn't mean they won't at some point, we accidentally bred a pair years ago... The schooling fish would probably scare the Betta too.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The betta could be fine with the rasboras (depending on personality) but since they are schooling fish they need to be in a group of at least 6. I'm not sure about the Rams.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I imagine it would work if its well if its heavily planted... most of the time, bettas hang out at the surface and the rams hang out at the bottom. A peaceful betta (and a plakat so they have the ability to 'flee' if needed, like ram spawning) it could work out well....

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@JamieXPXP Okay, I'll up the school. I thought I read they could be in groups of three.
@aussieJJDude I'd say the tank is mid-planted. I think I decided against it (though I still think it'd be pretty), because if I did it I was looking at like a halfmoon. I just love the Bettas with long fins. Also I love my crowntail so much I'm obsessed with getting more bettas.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom