Betta And Friends

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lynn78too, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

My daughter wants to get a betta of her own in a 10 gallon tank is she able to:

1. put 5-6 cory cats in there with it
    OR
    2. get a 5-6 female sorority in that size of a tank?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

Corys need a 20l minimum. Betta Sorority could work but it's a 50/50 shot. Not sure number wise but sounds okay to me but wait for other opinions.

3. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

1. Corys need a 20 long but are OK with Bettas for the most part.
    2. Sororities need at least a 30 gallon so the females can establish territory.

IME bettas do well with larger Tetras/Rasboras which are big enough to not be picked on by the Bettas, but small enough and with short enough fins that the Betta won't see them as a threat. I you want tank mates for a Betta you also have to have a separate tank for the Betta if he is aggressive because they're all different. For a 10 gallon Bettas would work with shrimp. If you want any other tank mates go for a 20 long.

For the 10:
    1 Male Betta
    5 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails

For the 20:
    1 Male Betta
    10 Cardinal Tetras or 10 Rummynose Tetras (There are more. I just can't think of any at the moment.)
    6-8 Corydoras

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  4. minervalongWell Known MemberMember

I'm not an expert but there are a couple of things to know about bettas with tank mates.
    Make sure the tank has lots of stuff in it, silk or real plants, decorations, caves, hide outs. Re arrange them occasionally.
    Run your tank at the optimum temp for a betta, being cold makes them grumpy. Get your other fish in that temp range.
    Get your other fish/inverts first.
    Choose the betta carefully. No crowntail (among the most aggressive). Take along a small mirror, if he flares and then relaxes, fine. If he flares and still seems agitated, not so good.
    Look for one that has the appearance of health and happiness. If you can find one blowing a bubble nest, he's your guy.
    Explain to your daughter that until you have the betta in the tank, you won't know if he will be mean to the other fish. Get him from a store where you can return him because you might have to. It might take several tries to get the right one for a community, but it can be done.

5. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

A lot of people say that you can put bettas and a small school of smaller tetras or rasboras or something of similar size in a 10 gallon. I say absolutely not. 20 long before you even try putting a betta in a community.

6. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

I always wonder why everyone always insists on putting a betta into a community tank, and then try to problem-solve out of that difficult situation.

Why not do away with the difficult aspect of the situation and just..... not get a betta?

Just do fancy guppies. You can stick like 4 of them in a 10g, and they basically look like bettas.

7. ravenwingNew MemberMember

They're not the most exciting creatures but a mystery snail would do well as a companion. Otherwise, a few ghost shrimp can liven up the tank quite a bit. Your betta may pick off a couple though.

8. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I'd honestly do some endlers in a 10. Lots of color and activity.

9. dansamy

dansamyValued MemberMember

At least ghost shrimp would be cheap snacks for the Betta if he develops a taste for them.

10. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

My daughter is actually scared of the fish. Honest to God. She shakes when it comes to going down the fish aisle. She found a betta though and she really liked him. I mentioned putting some tetras like what we have and her reaction wasn't very positive. She'll take care of the fish and I'm not concerned about her getting it and then freaking out from it, she's liked our betta before and she likes our cories in our other tank so I thought it might be an option.

11. minervalongWell Known MemberMember

In that case, I'd let her pick a betta and add a few snails without trying for other fish. Unless you have a larger tank to support a higher temp cory, stick with snails, or maybe shrimp if the betta is a laid back one. No point in stressing her out with more fish until she gets used to a betta and maybe herself asks for more fish.

12. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Thanks! We already have the 10 gallon and a 29 gallon but I think the 29 gallon is a bit overkill for one betta. ;) I'll wait and see what kind of personality it is which is probably what I should be doing any ways. It's just such a shock that she's excited about it. We set the tank up last night, she initially wanted live stuff with driftwood until she saw the little bridge and cherry tree. So we bought some live plants and some fun decorations. We already had gravel, heater and sponge filter.

I'll post pictures when we get him.

13. minervalongWell Known MemberMember

It seems like she might be putting a toe in the water, so to speak. As with all things kids, let her take the lead in this new adventure. As a mom, I was always excited when one of my girls wanted to join in on a hobby of mine.

14. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Her new fish Ironman. I think he's a plakat with koi markings. She thought he looked like Ironman. We put the extremely tiny moss balls and the super tiny shells from a Girl Scout craft (?) we did in the spring.

IMG_3123.JPGIMG_3125.JPGIMG_3126.JPG

15. minervalongWell Known MemberMember

Looks like Ironman to me too!

16. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice