betta and danio fin rot? Help 

Lolster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI everyone!

So i'm new to this forum, and fish keeping in general, and I'm running into a few problems.

My 20 gallon tank has been running since April, at first with just a longfin danio and 2 zebra danios and a leopard danio. at this point I didnt have a test kit, but I just figured I would wait a month before adding anything new in.
Beginning of may, I noticed that the longfin danio's ins were deteriorating, and some other fish were getting white patches ( very small, not fuzzy looking, just paler). I treated the whole tank with Maroxy, and this seemed to help, so I got myself 2 swordtails. Then in june, the fin deterioration got worse. I then treated with API liquid fungus cure, in hopes of curing the longfin, which seemed to help as well. ( my water was also green for a while.)

Since there seemed to be fin regrowth, I decided to add a betta into the tank. this was about 1.5 weeks ago. he did amazing with the other fish, as in he leaves them alone. about a week ago, I noticed that the longfin once again is losing its fins, and now the betta as well seems to have fin rot. all other fish are fine.

I purchased maracyn two, but am unsure if I should add it to the tank or maybe take the betta and longfin out into a smaller tank or something? I don't understand what is causing the fin rot... earlier it may have been the water, but my water is more or less perfect right now. although a bit yellowy. I do weekly 25-30% water changes.

So what can I do to stop/prevent these fin rot outbreaks?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
ammonia: 0
temp: 82
pH: 7.2
AquaClear 150 Power Filter
radiant heater

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum!

It seems like your tank isn't fuly cycled. What test kit are you using?

Also there are some things I will like to tell you since your tank isn't going so well:

1. The three danios are all schooling fish and they will like to be in groups of 5-6 individuals or more and your tank isn't big enough for those fish.

2. Your tank is not fully cycled. Do you know anything about cycling a tank? This can be the reason why there's a finrot out break and you are adding fishes while your tank is still cycling. Meds will stop the cycle so be careful.

3. It's always best to Quaranitine your new fish first before adding them to the 20 gallon. So I would suggest taking back to the pet store and wait until your tank is done cycling.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, and welcome to Fish Lore! Um, you have some problems with the tank. Bettas are not really community fish. The fin rot may well have been brought on by the stress of being in a community. Danios are rather nippy fish and may nip the betta's fins as well. Bettas really do better on their own. Here's our betta care guide:
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm
Here's a list of betta medications, which I believe has a section on fin rot:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/list-of-betta-meds-for-betta-disease.16170/

Is your tank planted? Usually,non-planted cycled tanks do have some nitrates, mostly under 20. If you'd like to, just do a fish lore search for the nitrogen cycle, and it will bring up some links on that. Just waiting a month really won't cycle the tank, as the tank needs a source of ammonia to feed the beneficial bacteria. I hope this helps!

Lolster

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I looked up some info on cycling the tank, which was the original reason for the danios actually ( to create waste ). I use a nutrafin minI master test kit, which ive had soince the end of may. I couldnt really find much info on the levels of ammonia etc during diferent stages of the cycle, so maybe you could help me out?
may 31: NH3: 0.6
NO3: 7
NO2: 0.6
June 16: NH3: 0
NO3: 50
NO2: 3.3
June 23: all at 0

so would this mean the tank is done cycling or that it is caught in the middle somewhere?
I will definitly remove the fish from the tank to treat them if it will stop the cycle.

The danios are actually never near the betta, except for feeding time, and even then they seem to ignore him. The betta also isnt showing any signs of stress... hes very active, seems to play in the rock and interacts with the plastic plants. he will even flare at his reflection , which is quite funny.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads