Betta And Crab?!

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Hi! I have been thinking about this little crab called a freshwater pom pom crab. Aquatic Arts sells them, and I think they are quite cute. Have a few questions.
    1) Can I have one in my 5 gallon betta tank?
    2) Will they eat veggies?
    3) Decor in the betta tank includes/will include:
    Marimo moss balls
    Anubias nana petite on driftwood
    Dwarf Chain sword
    Terracotta pot
    Amazon sword

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Bettas range is 78-80, and (according to Aquatic Arts) Pom Pom crab's is 68-78.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Don't know if its a temperature conversion thing or what, but it says the pom pom crabs temperature is 20c - 25c and a betta's temperature range is 26c - 27c

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I don't know if it's a temperature conversion thing. Hm.

6. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Is there anything else that says this isn't going to work?

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

I would look at fish compatibility before even thinking about temperature.

No type of crab or cray is compatible with a betta. Best case scenario is severe fin rot and damage after that crab catches a long betta tail.
    Worst case is that the betta would get into the crab's face and get caught an eaten.

You need very fast darting fish with short fins, zero aggression issues, and bulkier bodies if you want to keep crabs/crays. That, or at least a 20g tank with heavy foliage.

8. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

This is a 1 inch crab, and the Aquaticarts site says it ignores tankmates. Also doesn't appear to have actual claws but might be wrong?

9. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

It has claws (pincers) covered in fuzz.

Sure, it would ignore its tankmates, given that the tankmates are peaceful and would ignore the crab. Bettas are not peaceful, worse - they are very curious.

Natural peaceful behavior goes right out of the window when the animal is stressed.

10. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Pom-pom Crabs are peaceful-small sized crabs that enjoy being kept i groups with small slow moving tankmates or none at all. If you want Pom-Pom Crabs get a 10 Gallon tank and start off with 6 Pom-Poms then after about 2 weeks get a good tankmate like Honey Gouramis.

11. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Okay, thank you!