Betta And Corys? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Megaladon, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MegaladonNew MemberMember

So I'm planning on setting up another 10 gallon this summer and I wanted to put a betta in it. But I was wondering if I could put some pygmy Cory's in with a betta? I know it depends on the individual betta if they can be kept with other fish, but in general do you think it would work? Or are there any other fish you would suggest instead? I already have neon tetras so I want something different than that and I love bottom feeders. Plus I figured since they are more of a bottom feeder and bettas generally stay near the top there would be plenty of space for both.

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The pygmy cories are more of a mid swimmer compared to other cories.

3. MegaladonNew MemberMember

Ok thanks for the info! I haven't done a ton of research on the pygmy Cory's yet so I didn't know that.

4. SherriX2New MemberMember

They also like to be kept in large groups

5. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Pygmys normally do better in larger groups and thus better in larger tanks. 20g minimum IMO.

For a 10g, I'd suggest shrimp and snails and potential tank mates.

6. MegaladonNew MemberMember

Ok thanks, just thought I'd throw it out there and ask you guys for your opinion in advance since the tank wont be set up for at least at least another month.

I'll probably get shrimp then, those guys are pretty cool.

7. LuxwingNew MemberMember

Just a heads up, if you want shrimp maybe consider ghost shrimp as they're harder for bettas to see. Cherries or other fancy colored shrimp just look like a quick snack for most bettas!

8. MegaladonNew MemberMember

Ghost shrimp are all I ever see at pet stores near me anyways, but thanks for the sughestion