Betta and cories rubbing on decorations, clamped fins and bloat? Velvet? - Page 2

AggressiveAquatics

Like bettaandcorylover said just move the fish into the cycling 10 gallon and it’s like a 2 for one treatment

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
I will keep you guys updated! Also api general cute doesn’t work for velvet does it? I have some on hand and was just curious if that would work or if i do have to buy more medicine (no problem if i do just curious)
Well, you're in luck because api general cure treats velvet maybe this is what i found. lol! What a coincidence BUT I would defintley still do the methylene blue and the general cure both with salt for the tank. It might seem like overkill but it's just api can only do so much.

If you want any survivors treat heavily with api and do 50% water changes every 2-3 days. velvet is a plague, api will help but it can only do so much against velvet. see less
API® GENERAL CURE fish remedy treats a wide variety of parasitic diseases including velvet, fish lice, hole-in-the-head disease (Hexamita spp. & Spironucleus), gill & skin flukes (Dactylogyrus & Gyrodactylus ). For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. This fish remedy will not color the aquarium water. Also, did you read the salt article? Did it help? what level treatment are you doing?

mattgirl

If you are going to use it Don't put the meth.blue in your main tank. It will stain everything blue. Move the fish along with some tank water to the container you are using to treat them in.

BettaFishObsessed

Darwinthebloodparrot said:
Like bettaandcorylover said just move the fish into the cycling 10 gallon and it’s like a 2 for one treatment
they are in a 10 gallon. The 5 gallon is cycling. Both the 10 and 5 have the dwarf hair grass that brought the parasites.
And wouldn’t they die if I moved them to an uncycled tank? Because im pretty sure they would die if i moved them to an uncycled tank.

mattgirl said:
If you are going to use it Don't put the meth.blue in your main tank. It will stain everything blue. Move the fish along with some tank water to the container you are using to treat them in.
Okay. I assume api general cure wont work and I have to use meth blue?

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
Well, you're in luck because api general cure treats velvet maybe this is what i found. lol! What a coincidence BUT I would defintley still do the methylene blue and the general cure both with salt for the tank. It might seem like overkill but it's just api can only do so much. Iknow it may seem too much but it's better to use both.

. Also, did you read the salt article? Did it help? what level treatment are you doing?

BettaFishObsessed

bettaandcorylover said:
Well, you're in luck because api general cure treats velvet maybe this is what i found. lol! What a coincidence BUT I would defintley still do the methylene blue and the general cure both with salt for the tank. It might seem like overkill but it's just api can only do so much. Iknow it may seem too much but it's better to use both.

Also, did you read the salt article? Did it help? what level treatment are you doing?
I will probably do level 2 treatment salt baths to start out. And thank you!

mattgirl

BettaFishObsessed said:
I don't know whether it will or not. I've never used medications so let others recommend what is best to use. I just didn't want you to use the Meth. Blue in your main tank and end up having to live with it stained blue. It might be the right medication but if you are going to use it, it needs to be used in something other than your main tank.

BettaFishObsessed

mattgirl said:
I don't know whether it will or not. I've never used medications so let others recommend what is best to use. I just didn't want you to use the Meth. Blue in your main tank and end up having to live with it stained blue. It might be the right medication but if you are going to use it, it needs to be used in something other than your main tank.
okay, i may try the api general cure and then see how that goes, since the velvet just appeared today

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
okay, i may try the api general cure and then see how that goes, since the velvet just appeared today
Nice! Here's a of to-do things

Plan A:

Do a 50% water changes
Do salt baths for betta
Aerate the tank
Completely blackout the tank
Raise the temp to about 86 F
Treat with api general cure

Plan B if Plan A doesn't work:

Treat with methylene blue
Continue treating with api general cure
Raise the temp to 90 F
Do a 50% water change
Level 3 treatment of salt
Aerate the tank even more

Here is a helpful video about general cure: I highly recommend watching

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
Yeah nevermind you guys are right it’s velvet. They have a gold dust now, didnt this morning. Never would have called velvet, thanks guys

But does velvet cause bloat because the cories are still really bloated
Yes velvet makes fish bloated.

DoubleDutch

BettaFishObsessed

bettaandcorylover said:
Yes velvet makes fish bloated.
Okay, are you sure? I just want to make sure there isn’t an underlying issue I am ignoring.

Also thanks for the plan, i will use that!

also for blacking out the tank:
I have a glass lid and my tank is in a main room where I can’t just “keep the lights and curtains off”. I also know I can’t just drape a comforter over the tank since they will suffocate. How should I blackout the tank then? How do I feed them? I blackout it for 10 days right?

will the plants survive the blackout? Will it disorientate the fish? How do I give medicine? how do I check on them? how do I test the water? Should I give the bettas salt baths during this? Wouldnt that let light in? I wrapped a blanket around the cycling tank, do I treat it the same with API general cure? I can’t raise the temperature on that tank, do I just wait longer? How long do I blackout for? How long do I medicate for? How do I know when the velvet was gone? Can I like sue topfin or something haha

also how do I sterilize the equipment? I have an API Freshwater master test kit that I have been using for both the tanks with velvet. I really can’t afford a new one, how do I sterilize it?

also will I need to replace the filter cartridges

AggressiveAquatics

Just tank lights out and no lights in your room should do fine. Because you don’t need to actually cover anything I think that answers most of your questions and as long as the plants are established which I’m assuming they are they will be perfectly fine for up to 5-7 days

when your give the salt baths to your betta a quick 5 minutes in the light shouldn’t do anything and I would recommend you get an adjustable heater it will only cost like 20 dollars on amazon and it is totally worth it. When the fish are acting normal and you don’t see anything on them it should be at least going away so just keep an eye out for that and if the bottle guarantees they’ll get better than I guess you could sue them lol

Also to sterilize your things just place the test tubes in some warm water and slowly raise the temp until a boil and leave it there for like 15 minutes and they will be perfectly clean
Make sure to gradually increase the temp or I don’t know what could happen but probably not something good lol

BettaFishObsessed

Just tank lights out and no lights in your room should do fine. Because you don’t need to actually cover anything I think that answers most of your questions and as long as the plants are established which I’m assuming they are they will be perfectly fine for up to 5-7 days

when your give the salt baths to your betta a quick 5 minutes in the light shouldn’t do anything and I would recommend you get an adjustable heater it will only cost like 20 dollars on amazon and it is totally worth it. When the fish are acting normal and you don’t see anything on them it should be at least going away so just keep an eye out for that and if the bottle guarantees they’ll get better than I guess you could sue them lol
thank you! But how will I check on them without letting too much light in? I have to use a blanket to wrap around since I have my pet tortoise in the same room and I can’t exactly just turn her light off

and thank you I will sterilize them that way. That will kill the parasites right?

also none of this will ruin the cycle of my cycling tank?

AggressiveAquatics

Your cycle should be fine but In the rare case something messes up that’s easier to fix than velvet is. and yeah the slowly increase in temperature till the water is boiling if you leave them in the boiling water for like 15 minutes your good to go when you check on them just unwrap part of the blanket so that the light is still being for the most part. And feeding won’t affect the light just drop some food in. And for treatment it’s not always the same but read the back of the bottle and it might tell you if you need to remove the carbon carbon or sponge you have in your filter

BettaFishObsessed

Your cycle should be fine but In the rare case something messes up that’s easier to fix than velvet is. and yeah the slowly increase in temperature till the water is boiling if you leave them in the boiling water for like 15 minutes your good to go when you check on them just unwrap part of the blanket so that the light is still being for the most part. And feeding won’t affect the light just drop some food in. And for treatment it’s not always the same but read the back of the bottle and it might tell you if you need to remove the carbon carbon or sponge you have in your filter
okay thank you very much

AggressiveAquatics

No problem be sure to keep us updated on how things are going :)

BettaFishObsessed

No problem be sure to keep us updated on how things are going :)
I will!

feeshi

Hey, thought I'd help clear up why velvet causing bloating question, as its helpful in identifying it.
Velvet can be ingested and infect the intestines of the fish causing swelling and stringy, almost transparent faeces (which is damaged intestinal/stomach lining). Its one of the reasons fish refuse to eat during a heavy infection.
I have had fish come back from these symptoms, so the velvet must pass though, likely in their encrusted form.
Worth to note, swelling may also be due to secondary bacterial infections, as these parasites create wounds. However, as you are using API general cure it will already have properties to combat these secondary infections while also tackling the parasite.
Hope your fish respond quickly :)

BettaFishObsessed

feeshi said:
Hey, thought I'd help clear up why velvet causing bloating question, as its helpful in identifying it.
Velvet can be ingested and infect the intestines of the fish causing swelling and stringy, almost transparent faeces (which is damaged intestinal/stomach lining). Its one of the reasons fish refuse to eat during a heavy infection.
I have had fish come back from these symptoms, so the velvet must pass though, likely in their encrusted form.
Worth to note, swelling may also be due to secondary bacterial infections, as these parasites create wounds. However, as you are using API general cure it will already have properties to combat these secondary infections while also tackling the parasite.
Hope your fish respond quickly :)
Okay thank you!

BettasAreSuperior

DoubleDutch said:
How? Why?
Well, in the general cure video it says the fish can be bloated by the parasite eating all the nutrients but then the fish would be skinny. So that's wrong. lol. the reason I listed was wrong not you. If it's slightly bloated then it may be a little bit of constipation. Here is an article on bloating since I can't copy and paste.

BettaFishObsessed

bettaandcorylover said:
Well, in the general cure video it says the fish can be bloated by the parasite eating all the nutrients but then the fish would be skinny. So that's wrong. lol. the reason I listed was wrong not you. If it's slightly bloated then it may be a little bit of constipation. Here is an article on bloating since I can't copy and paste.

The cories are bloated, the betta is fine

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
The cories are bloated, the betta is fine
Well my reasoning is just not great, lol so I would go with what feeshi said. his/her post is a few posts up but overall i think you're prepared and fine

BettaFishObsessed

Today is the second day of blacking out the tank and treating with general cure, have to re-dose tomorrow. Carbon is out of filter. Fish are mad at me whenever i uncover it a little to peak inside. Betta flaring. He misses the light. He doesn’t want to succumb to the darkness. The cories already have, they went quietly. They are waiting for him to join them. The cories have forgotten their past life, they are part of the darkness now. The betta is unwilling to join them. I must be patient, I tell the cories this too. It is only the second day. He will eventually have no choice but to succumb to the dark. No one can escape forever.

AggressiveAquatics

Dang that’s deep

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
Today is the second day of blacking out the tank and treating with general cure, have to re-dose tomorrow. Carbon is out of filter. Fish are mad at me whenever i uncover it a little to peak inside. Betta flaring. He misses the light. He doesn’t want to succumb to the darkness. The cories already have, they went quietly. They are waiting for him to join them. The cories have forgotten their past life, they are part of the darkness now. The betta is unwilling to join them. I must be patient, I tell the cories this too. It is only the second day. He will eventually have no choice but to succumb to the dark. No one can escape forever.
wow...oh..so, the cories have passed? :( S
If found that velvet is vulnerable at a higher temperatures, so this makes it quicker to cure in a aquarium than it would in a cold water aquarium. You shouldn't need to medicate for Velvet for longer than 10 days.

Demonskid

That just makes it creepy and cool...

I hope they all get better.

(and the post I was commenting on keeps disappearing xD)

BettaFishObsessed

bettaandcorylover said:
wow...oh..so, the cories have passed? :( S
If found that velvet is vulnerable at a higher temperatures, so this makes it quicker to cure in a aquarium than it would in a cold water aquarium. You shouldn't need to medicate for Velvet for longer than 10 days.
They cories havent passed, but they aren’t doing any better for sure, i wasnt joking about the part that they are hiding in the corner :( i will keep the tank blacked out for 10 days

Demonskid said:
That just makes it creepy and cool...

I hope they all get better.

(and the post I was commenting on keeps disappearing xD)
I hope they do too!

BettasAreSuperior

Ohh! Wait. I was saying you can dose the general cure for 10 days and for the blackout period do it only 7 days max. During the treatment, you ought to peep into your tank to check the state of your plants and animals.

BettaFishObsessed

bettaandcorylover said:
Ohh! Wait. I was saying you can dose the general cure for 10 days and for the blackout period do it only 7 days max. During the treatment, you ought to peep into your tank to check the state of your plants and animals.
Yes, I am checking every day. Are you sure I should dose general cure for 10 days? Because I think it should only be 2 doses (says that on the back), and I dont know if I have enough for 10 days for both tanks :/

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
Yes, I am checking every day. Are you sure I should dose general cure for 10 days? Because I think it should only be 2 doses (says that on the back), and I dont know if I have enough for 10 days for both tanks :/
You're right-only 2 doses. I went to api's website and it said this: for each 10 gallons of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. So, you'll have to do that i guess for both tanks because it's better safe than sorry. For each 10 gallons empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours, after another 48 hours change 25% of water and just change water this time-don't add in any packets. 2 dosing treatments required for full treatment. So, you need to dose twice. SO all in all, my 10 days treatment was wrong. Don't listen to that. I got this information form api's website on general cure. So, the first time you add in just one packet then after 48 hours add in another packet. the third time, change 25% of the water. Then, you should be good! For the 10 gallon tank you need three packets. lol. SO much info.

So it's just add in 1 packet. Wait 48 hours. Add 1 more packet. Wait 48 hours and do a 25% water change-don't add in any general cure. Just change water. Also, just do the black out for 2-3 more days. I think 2 more days because all the fish are terrified.

BettaFishObsessed

Okay. Will that be enough to kill all of the velvet are you sure? I may try to push it to 4 days to be safe, but yeah theyre all huddling in the corner :(

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
Okay. Will that be enough to kill all of the velvet are you sure? I may try to push it to 4 days to be safe, but yeah theyre all huddling in the corner :(
Aww.... :( I feel bad for the fish but hopefully it makes them better. Yes, It will probably be enough to kill all the velvet. I am pretty sure. If it doesn't ( the med and care will kill the velvet but just in case if it doesn't) you can add methylene blue but you probably won't have to but best of luck!

BettaFishObsessed

just an update: I finally found something to cover the 5 gal with so i will uncover the 10 gal on monday (7 days) and 5 gal on thursday (7 days) today is the third day of api general cure on the 5 gal and the last day of general cure for the 10 gal.

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
just an update: I finally found something to cover the 5 gal with so i will uncover the 10 gal on monday (7 days) and 5 gal on thursday (7 days) today is the third day of api general cure on the 5 gal and the last day of general cure for the 10 gal.
Are all the fish alive and has the velvet gone down?

BettaFishObsessed

bettaandcorylover said:
Are all the fish alive and has the velvet gone down?
Yes the fish are all alive and i checked with a flashlight the bettas velvet has gone down but the cories hasnt noticeably

BettasAreSuperior

BettaFishObsessed said:
Yes the fish are all alive and i checked with a flashlight the bettas velvet has gone down but the cories hasnt noticeably
I hope they make a full recovery.

BettasAreSuperior

Have the fish recoverd yet? What is the progress?

AggressiveAquatics

I have been wondering also. They should be more than halfway recovered by now so I hope they are doing ok

BettasAreSuperior

I have been wondering also. They should be more than halfway recovered by now so I hope they are doing ok
Yes, that is what I was wondering since they have been about 3/4 into the process.

Top Bottom