Betta And Cave

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

So, I've been posting a lot recently (minor questions I have and I like to ask the community of fellow fish folk). I put a small terracotta pot in Zach's 5 gallon tank and he hasn't gone in it yet to hide. He has come over and leaned against the Marimos outside it or glanced in but doesn't enter. It took Owen (my other fish) a little while to figure out his cave, but his is an actual cave, not a pot that is more open like this. Will it just take time for Zach to hang out in there? Or are terracotta pots not good hiding spots because they are more open?

2. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

I think it really depends on the betta... I have a cave but it's very open, my betta loves hanging out in there, even though he's not hidden.

3. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Bettas aren't really "cave dwellers". They don't have much need for them as they neither spawn nor live in caves naturally. But they do like to have a hide-away, I'd assume they mainly use it when they are feeling insecure. My bettas like to hang around the anubias and driftwood when they're not begging for food.

4. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Okay, so should I get rid of the pot or just leave it? I plan on getting driftwood and Anubias for the tank.

5. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Leave it till you need to make room for the driftwood+anubias. No point in removing it right away, maybe he will start using it soon.

6. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

There is room for both in the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Just glanced over and he was resting on top of the pot lol
    At least he found a use for it