Betta And Airstone

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Chandell, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Chandell

Chandell Valued Member Member

B7D0FB09-6EB7-44B2-A760-12994A4EF99E.jpeg I was wondering if it’s bad for bettas to have too much current at the surface of the tank from the pump and the airstone? Does this cause any problems for betta as I do feel the airstone is beneficial (also have six cories)
    I currently have the airstone at the opposite corner from the pump but was wanting to put the airstone in the middle between the heater and the pump so betta has a calm corner. Would having the airstone in the middle close to the intake in the pump be bad?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I don't see any issues when I use an airstone with my bettas, they like to swim around the bubbles.
    You can certainly continue using it as normal.

I don't put the bubbler near the intake because I don't want accidental air in my tubes, so I put it on the opposite side.

3. OP
    OP
    Chandell

Thank you! I didn’t think it was a great idea to have it near the intake. My airstone is large and makes a lot of bubbles and current. Ernie never seemed bothered by it but I shut it off (which I never do) and he seems to be swimming at the surface and in that corner more than usual. Maybe I will need a smaller airstone.

4. Fanatic

It's just a safety precaution to getting an air bubble in your pump or canister and saving you the trouble of priming it again.
    Is it just me, or do you hate priming your canister? The darn thing never starts!

5. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

If you don't find a smaller airstone works, you can get valves from Amazon that can regulate the airflow, too. I turn down the air on all my sponge filters for the same reason.

That is a lovely big tank for a betta, wow, he must be in heaven.

6. Fanatic

7. OP
    OP
    Chandell

I don’t have a canister I am fairly new to fish keeping I just have a Marineland bio wheel.

8. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

To be honest Betta don't seem to hate flow as much as people think. I know my veil tail loves it and like to swimming and play in it. I call it the Fish Treadmill. If the bubbles are little and not big then I'd say he might enjoy it.

9. OP
    OP
    Chandell

Yes I was reading about the valves and I might try that. Thank you Ernie does seem very happy!

He doesn’t seem bothered by it but I feel he might have a harder time swimming around.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  10. Fanatic

Bettas usually know to stay away from strong current if they live in a tank that gives them enough room to get away.

11. OP
    OP
    Chandell

2C425044-72CA-4A86-B338-01762B31592A.jpeg ECFB1684-4E16-429D-AF0B-CF4AD68E6B29.jpegThanks. My airstone is larger I have attached a photo!

54D1359B-448A-4E57-ADA2-EB1536887754.jpeg
    I do have a large tank but I feel there is a lot of current at the whole top of tank.

12. Platyarelife

I beg to differ. I keep a steady flow in my tank, no low not high, and there are plenty of calm areas in the tank and my Betta will choose to go into the flow and swimming against it. It's not strong enough to knock him around but it's strong enough to cause resistance. When he gets bored he'll go play around in the current, do circles in it, act like it's a water slide (go to the start, let it carry him then he does it over and over again a few times). Other times he'll swim in the rest of the tank like a normal fish. If he hated the flow I doubt he'd willingly swim into it so much.

13. Fanatic

Well, you've got a playful betta! Mine stayed away from strong currents when I had them, but now they don't really care.

14. Platyarelife

Looks great! If the fish doesn't like it they won't swim near it. If the betta is getting bobbed around and can't seem to find calm and swim normal pace then the flow would be too strong.

My last one liked flow too, lol (before he died). I guess he is pretty playful though. He likes fingers too.

15. Fanatic

All bettas are different.
    Only two of my bettas like fingers. My female elephant ear does not, but she's extremely active.

16. Platyarelife

Betta are water puppies. :p

17. OP
    OP
    Chandell

He seems fine!

Mine likes fingers too! Whenever I’m in the tank he won’t leave my hand!

18. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

My male Betta loves his air stone! :) Would really recommend them for Bettas!

19. OP
    OP
    Chandell

I just used one of these clips to slow it down. But now I feel like it’s too slow and not enough oxygen for my cories since I have a big tank. image.jpg

Yes I definitely wouldn’t remove it, just wondering if I should have a smaller or slower one.

20. I

ILLBETHEJUDGE Valued Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice