Betta and African Dwarf Frogs (Need Advise)

LadyHaven

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
So at the moment I just have 2 African dwarf frogs, a male and a female and they just laid their first batch off eggs. I hadn't planned on breeding, and now my tank has eggs everywhere, and I also have a bit of a snail problem. My solution is to add a betta in with them to help eat the eggs and snails, but also because that was my original plan. But, from my own experience I know that my frogs bite each other mistaking each other for food, (I feed them from tweezers).
Anyways, my question is:
I really want a rosetail, feather tail, or dumbo ear betta because of how pretty they are, but I worry that the frogs might bite/rip the tail. The last thing I want is for my fish to get hurt because of a selfish decision on my part. Should I get a smaller variety like a Plakat instead?
Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, I really appreciate it!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the betta is more likely to bully them, than they are to bully him. Still if you want to be cautious you can do a plakat, but female betta of any breed would probably still work. I don't think ADFs are big fin nippers.

OP
LadyHaven

LadyHaven

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kdizzle said:
I think the betta is more likely to bully them, than they are to bully him. Still if you want to be cautious you can do a plakat, but female betta of any breed would probably still work. I don't think ADFs are big fin nippers.
Thanks for your input and reassurance, I will definitely consider adding a female instead of a male, and hearing that ADFs aren't big fin nippers is also very reassuring. Thanks again~

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LadyHaven said:
Thanks for your input and reassurance, I will definitely consider adding a female instead of a male, and hearing that ADFs aren't big fin nippers is also very reassuring. Thanks again~
:)

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My frogs will slap around any fish that encroaches on their feeding area at mealtime, which bettas tend to do, but haven't seen any real damage.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
ADFs are difficult to breed. How on earth did you do that? I have 10 in a 20 gallon long.

OP
LadyHaven

LadyHaven

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
juniperlea said:
ADFs are difficult to breed. How on earth did you do that? I have 10 in a 20 gallon long.
Quite honestly, I have no idea. I just recently figured out 1 of my 2 was a male. The male just hugged her for a day or so and the eggs were everywhere. Of course, they probably weren’t fertilized and I do not have premium conditions in my tank for breeding so the eggs never made it. I’ve got no other fish, and it’s a 5 gallon. It hasn’t happened since then, but I just assumed it may have been that my male had reached maturity. ADFs are very new to me, so my knowledge on breeding isn't very helpful.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I was hoping you had a 'frog thumb'!!!! I've read that they are sensitive and extremely difficult to breed. One of mine died and am now down to 9 despite checking water quality..... anyway, keep on truckin' :D They're wonderfully entertaining.

New Threads