Betta age?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Shine, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Is there any way to tell how old a betta is? After the fry-3 month stage, and before the 'definately old' stage?

Just wondering because of course when you buy pet store bettas they don't bother to write their birthday on the cups! ;D .... and any other pet you buy they will generally give an estimate; but not with fish :-X

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I can usually tell by the length of finage....Most the fish on Aquabid are NOT 3 months old like they claim they are more like 6.....

Bettas at pet stores are usually between 9-12 months old if not older......Good example is the CT's you see at pet co.....Here is a 4-5 month old CT....As you can see his rays are just now starting to grow out...

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Wow... they are older then I thought at the lfs'

Thanks MM! I kind of got to wondering because my one betta just seems to have an 'older' personality then the other, and he is a bit bigger. But from what you just said the 'younger' of the two is probably at least 9mths to a year old himself. But then what do I know? LOL--the one I think is older could very well be the same age or younger :p

4. bettaloulou

bettaloulou Valued Member Member

The halfmoons at Petco seem so small, is this just because they are from lower quality breeding lines? Or is it possible they are still young? They are about 2 inches long, including fins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice