Betta age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is there any way to tell how old a betta is? After the fry-3 month stage, and before the 'definately old' stage?

Just wondering because of course when you buy pet store bettas they don't bother to write their birthday on the cups! ;D .... and any other pet you buy they will generally give an estimate; but not with fish :-X

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Where the Earth moves but the traffic doesn't! Cal
Experience
More than 10 years
I can usually tell by the length of finage....Most the fish on Aquabid are NOT 3 months old like they claim they are more like 6.....

Bettas at pet stores are usually between 9-12 months old if not older......Good example is the CT's you see at pet co.....Here is a 4-5 month old CT....As you can see his rays are just now starting to grow out...

Attachments

OP
Shine

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow... they are older then I thought at the lfs'

Thanks MM! I kind of got to wondering because my one betta just seems to have an 'older' personality then the other, and he is a bit bigger. But from what you just said the 'younger' of the two is probably at least 9mths to a year old himself. But then what do I know? LOL--the one I think is older could very well be the same age or younger

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The halfmoons at Petco seem so small, is this just because they are from lower quality breeding lines? Or is it possible they are still young? They are about 2 inches long, including fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom