Betta Acting Weird

Croix

Reaction score
So this started monday may 27th at 6pm my betta was laying on the bottom of the tank. My father though he was dead and told me but upon my walking up to the tank he got up and swam away. Then tuesday may 28th at 6 am he was doing the same thing. But didnt move when walked up to tank I had to put a turkey baster into tank and almost push him till he sprang to life. Now he just lays aroind on eveything and its unlike him. He also just started refusing his food( I feed him bug bites as reccomend) not his tail fin is typically a white blue mix is now has a red tint to it. I'm worried about the red. I just did a water change was in need of one and a quick google search said that can help. Any other advice? He lives with 4 neon tetras in a 2.5 gal. Should I hive hime more space? The levels are all normal.

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be stress from the Neons? Neon tetras are very active that it is usually recommended they have at least a 20 gallon space.
Could be boredom? I had my first betta in a 2.5 and there just wasn't enough decor to keep him interested and exploring. Once I upgraded to a five I never saw him rest. He was always playing and moving.
Could be cold? Do you have a heater on the aquarium? Without one his metabolism could just be moving slow.
I'm not sure why your buddy is changing colors though.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post some photos and give number results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temp? A 2.5gal is barely big enough for a single betta, let alone a group of neon tetras. Neons need a much larger tank with a school of 6+, they also prefer cooler temps than bettas.

New Threads