Betta Acting Weird Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kayla20johnson, Jun 18, 2018.

1. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnsonValued MemberMember

So recently I had a devastation in my tank: one of my Julii Cory’s died, and yesterday my red female Betta died. Today, my other female Betta is just kind of hanging around at the top of the tank. Her and the red one used to swim around together (no aggression what so ever) as if they were best friends lol. Is it possible that she misses her friend and is “heartbroken”. I know it happens with other animals so I thought maybe this was the case with her.

2. Lacey D

Lacey DWell Known MemberMember

I have heard that fish--especially betta--  (link to article about that). Did you figure out what killed the other two?

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Valued MemberMember

Have you tested your water recently? death like that is never a good sign....

It's possible your ammonia/nitrite is high...? What size tank is it? when was the last time you've done a water change? did the cory or the betta act weirdly at all before passing/show any sign of illness?

4. Lagertha

LagerthaValued MemberMember

(Was going to say about ammonia, you beat me to it. )

I have found OP that when fish hang out at the surface constantly there’s a problem with water quality. Especially if you’re having fish deaths all of a sudden.

Do you have a test kit?

5. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

Only one of my Cory’s died, but it concerned me because they’re typically pretty hardy. It was the smallest out of all of them, and I had just gotten him so I think he had something wrong with him to begin with, but I did a 30% water change because I was freaked out. Then yesterday I came home and found by Betta dead and so I immediately did a water parameter check and the ammonia was a tad high (.25) but nothing alarming. So I did another water change last night and I am testing my water again right now. All of my other fish are doing well except for my Betta which I think misses her friend. I know something is up because she isn’t playing in the bubble wall which she is usually obsessed with

My ammonia was a little high the other day at .25. The last time I did a water change before that was only a couple of days. Tank size is a 55gallon high. The Cory did not act weird, but he was quite a bit smaller than the others in the tank. As for my Betta, she didn’t act weird either. I am beginning to think she was bloated because when I fished her out she was quite round-but I am extra careful not to overfeed my fish. Maybe she was hogging some of the food and I didn’t notice?

My water seems to be okay. My pH is at 7.2, Ammonia at 0, Nitrite at 0, and my nitrate is between 0 and 5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
  6. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Valued MemberMember

Hmmm. That is peculiar than. I'm unsure of what killed the cory. It might've been that maybe he wasn't doing well in the store, and he didn't do well in the stress from transfer? that is odd.

As for the bloated labrynth fish, it's possible the bloating was due to issues with her swim bladder. Goldfish get these issues especially. BUT, she would've been swimming funny if that was the case. Was she bloated more on one side than the other?

Those water parameters seem perfect. I mean, I suppose it's possible she's a little lonely but...I like to think fish don't have an amygdala and hippocampus, so, emotions and memories are a no-go for them. I'm just not conviced that she's missing her friend. It might be the case, but I have a hard time concluding that for a betta. Odd. I'm pretty unsure.

Any decorations recently added? How many fish are stocked in the tank? How old was the betta? There has to be a reason...

7. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

No, no bloating on one side more than the other. And I have only had her for a couple of months. I recently added a fake plant just to brighten up the tank a little, but I was sure to wash it off really well first. I just did a high range pH test and it read 7.4 which is not alarming, but I am going to order some Catappa leaves. I have a total of 19 fish, 4 ghost shrimp, and 1 snail.

8. Lacey D

Lacey DWell Known MemberMember

She could have been egg-bound :( I'm told that happens in female betta a lot

9. Lagertha

LagerthaValued MemberMember

10. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

Like getting ready to lay eggs?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice