Betta Acting Sluggish And Odd After Water Change.

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Littoface, Apr 17, 2018.

1. L

Littoface New Member Member

I've read through every thread on this topic at this point and I haven't found an answer.

I have a betta in a filtered, cycled, heated 2.5 gal tank with silk plants and a cave. He was full of personality and doing great for about two weeks since I got him. I have been doing small (up to 25%) water changes every 4 or 5 days with no issue.

Ever since I did a water change this morning he's been sitting on te gravel, hiding, and not responding to anything (ahich he usually does). When he swims, it's erratic and panicked.

I happened to check the water before I changed it and I checked recently again. There are no changes. Ph around 7 (a bit below). No nitrites or ammonia. Tiny bit of nitrates.

I did an emergency water change from a different water source. Still acting weird. He's wedged himself between some plants and sits there unmoving. No visible signs of illness. Was gasping before but now he's just sitting and not being his usual chipper self.

With all that out of the way:

What can I do now?
    What might be the problem? (It's not tank size, which seems tk be the go-to answer around the internet - he was happy and active before this water change).

I have a 29 gal established tank. Can I use water from there (as long as the parameters are the same)? Will that help?

I really don't want this guy to die as I've grown attached in just these two weeks. Please point me in the right direction.

Water temp is at 80 degrees. I used water conditioner and tresszyme before adding new water.

Only other weird thing I've noticed is slight foam at the top of the water when I changed it. But none when I changed it again.

Please help!

2. A

AshyMurphy New Member Member

It could be thermal shock. Did you chage the water and add cold or warm water in?

3. OP
    OP
    L

It was warm to begin with. Always around 80, give or take a degree.

4. OP
    OP
    L

Still acting weird this morning.

Should I try another water change or will that just make him more stressed?

If I do a water change, maybe I should tey filtered water?

5. OP
    OP
    L

I gave him a small water change with filtered water.. and now I'm out for the day. Hopefully won't come home to a dead fish. ): Any advice is still really welcome..

6. A

AshyMurphy New Member Member

was the water de-chlorinated? you should try keep a bucket of water at room temperature when doin water change i find that helps alot and doesnt stress them as much when doing the water changes. :)

7. OP
    OP
    L

A bucket for what? I did dechlorinate, put a few drops into the water a min or teo before adding it to the tank. Could it be that I used TOO much dechlorinator? Could that have an effect?

What can I do now??

8. OP
    OP
    L

Still hanging in there but barely..

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    L

Somebody help my little guy. ): There has to be something I can do..

10. OP
    OP
    L

I'll keep this updated for anyone who stumbles on this thread and wants an answer like I did.

I went to a local knowledgable petland employee (I know not all pet store emplyees are a good source, but she honesty knows her stuff). She advised me to remove the filter and let the temperature drop down to room temperature (closer tp 75 than 80). Once the temp went down, I added a tiny bit (tip of my finger) of baking soda.

I thought he was done for last night, I couldn't even tell if he was alive. This morning he's perked up a bit! Still not 100% but definitely an improvement. He's moving around a bit more. He ate his usual two pellets which is super reassuring.

I don't think he's out of the woods yet: some of his scales have turned gold but it doesn't look lile velvet.. but this is promising.

11. OP
    OP
    L

I snapped a pic of him with the flash on. Maybe someone can tell me if this is indeed velvet. (He had no gold when I got him, pure dark and light blue with some red on his front).

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice