Betta acting odd

Camry

Reaction score
I was given a suprise betta for Christmas from my mother. The problem is that I live with my dad and so have no supplies on me. Right now he’s in the biggest tupperware I could fine and on a heat pad since my house is very cold. For the past few days he’s been lethargic and not eating and now he’s been flaring his gills and breathing heavily with them. I’m worried there’s not enough oxygen in the water but if I take him of the heat mat it’ll be in the sixties.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would try to see if you can get a cheap 5-10 gallon starter kit from walmart or the chain stores and get it set up he needs a heater set to around 80 as well as filter flow to get the tank cycling.

Warnsdorff

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Make water changes Daily 25% at least, do you have a bed roller? They are great temporary aquarium or for breeding. Remember that the water should be 25° Celsius and the water at him should be that as well 25-27 if you don't have a heater put the "aquarium" in a heatet room where the temperature matches around the 25 the the water should be around 25-27° without a heating element. As for the eating try with some small pieces of shrimp. Like smaller than a pee. Just the ones you eat yourself. But remember water changes for removing nitrate and putting oxygen into the water again.

You don't need a filter if you do regular water changes. Bettas breathe by taking air above water. So make sure the surface ain't oily it will prevent him from getting air and the water from absorbing the oxygen. A air filter would be preferable since they don't like to much cirkulation.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Aren't heating pads actually quite hot? I'm ashamed to say (because I didn't know or ask), that my first fish was a female betta that I kept in a 2 gallon glass bowl last winter in Iowa (us) without a heater or filter. I did about 50% weekly water changes. She really did well. My indoor temp is usually around 64F. I've since obviously, improved upon the condition of all my fish!

OP
C

Camry

Reaction score
Warnsdorff said:
You don't need a filter if you do regular water changes. Bettas breathe by taking air above water. So make sure the surface ain't oily it will prevent him from getting air and the water from absorbing the oxygen. A air filter would be preferable since they don't like to much cirkulation.
I hope that’s enough I’ve been changing the water a lot but he’s been going to the surface a ton to get air I don’t think his gills are doing the best job at the moment

juniperlea said:
Aren't heating pads actually quite hot? I'm ashamed to say (because I didn't know or ask), that my first fish was a female betta that I kept in a 2 gallon glass bowl last winter in Iowa (us) without a heater or filter. I did about 50% weekly water changes. She really did well. My indoor temp is usually around 64F. I've since obviously, improved upon the condition of all my fish!
The heating pat that I’m using is for people so it has settings. I started using the heat pad because he was acting off but it does not seem to have helped.

Warnsdorff said:
Make water changes Daily 25% at least, do you have a bed roller? They are great temporary aquarium or for breeding. Remember that the water should be 25° Celsius and the water at him should be that as well 25-27 if you don't have a heater put the "aquarium" in a heatet room where the temperature matches around the 25 the the water should be around 25-27° without a heating element. As for the eating try with some small pieces of shrimp. Like smaller than a pee. Just the ones you eat yourself. But remember water changes for removing nitrate and putting oxygen into the water again.
Sadly every room in my house is very cold and I’ve tired brine shrimp and fruit flys (both of which he was very excited about the first day) but now he takes no interest.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I wouldn't use it. I think it might make the water too hot. Do you have a thermometer (one for humans), to test the water? Mine survived indoor temp of 64, at best! You could also just put the container on top of and surrounded by a thick blanket.

OP
C

Camry

Reaction score
Warnsdorff said:
Is the gills red?
They don’t look red but it’s hard to tell since they are dark blue and red because of his coloration

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but the flaring is probably just a sign of stress. It's normal for them to get air from the surface. Really, I think he'll be fine without the heating pad. Mine did really well sitting directly on the floor in 64F last winter!

OP
C

Camry

Reaction score
juniperlea said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but the flaring is probably just a sign of stress. It's normal for them to get air from the surface. Really, I think he'll be fine without the heating pad. Mine did really well sitting directly on the floor in 64F last winter!
Alright I’ll try taking him off the pad and see if that helps

I took some pics of him his gills have been flaring like that for a few hours now

Attachments

Warnsdorff

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Start with waterchanges, see if he improves get a temperature on the water and try to get him to eat. And if you have a coconut shell with a small opening for shelter. Other it will get stressed as well from no hiding places. Mine normally sleeps in a coconut or on a plants leaf

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Camry said:
Alright I’ll try taking him off the pad and see if that helps
Good. If you keep him closer to a heat source, vent, baseboard etc, it might just be good enough. Give the water time to cool and just wait a few hours.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
He needs to be in a heated filtered cycled tank and till the tank is cycled ( usually 4-8 weeks ) you will need to do daily WC's and treat the new water with Prime. I would get an API liquid test kit to keep a close eye on the parameters.
I'm laughing now because I really committed cruelty to my first betta! Actually, it's not funny. No heater. No filter. Never heard of cycling. 40% weekly changes with no Prime! She should have been dead within 24 hours! I just kept water sitting out all week to dechlorinate! A miracle! Oddly enough, she passed away a month or so after I put her in a real tank, fully cycled, heated and healthy!

A side note.... maybe someone else out there has different thoughts. I've noticed (because I have one) that a lot of the chain stores have those 5 gallon kits. What I also notice is that they have the built in filters behind a plastic wall. That plastic wall is just a breeder of bad bacteria. It's an awful design. My LFS has a 5g. Plain. Four glass walls, black rims. $20. No lid. No heater. No filter. I would buy that in a second over a 5 gallon kit for $40.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got a 55 Aqueon starter kit 2.5 years ago and have since upgraded everything it came with aside from the tank.... But I also got an 8.8 Aqueon Aquasprings just before I got the 55 and it is still up n running although it only came with the tank and filter/light combo it has been such a great tank. Granted you do lose a bit of space having a partially internal filter with a waterfall effect and has just a few small LED's attached to the bottom of the waterfall and need to add a heaterI was able to get 2 swords to go from just little spuds to the top of the tank along with other plants growing in there just not as well cause the swords have done so well. I would get another Aqueon Aquaspring kit in a hearbeat. And as an added bonus I believe they come in a 13-15 gallon size now :)... My 8.8 is currently home to my pea puffer chubby a very young otto cat 2 guppy fry and a small population of ramshorns

Attachments

OP
C

Camry

Reaction score
Warnsdorff said:
Is he doing better today?
Not really he’s still refusing to eat and spends most of his time laying on the bottom of the tub. When he does swim it’s very jerky and I think his rear is floating up.

Warnsdorff

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Darn man you can buy pill/rock looking thing that kinda force the fish to eat. They desolve in the water releasing food particles. It's holiday food but have been working well for me if the fish refuse to eat. I'm sad to hear he's not better I know how much I love mine. But mine is getting old. I think he's like 3-4 years atm

New Threads