2 Gallon Tank Betta acting odd after weekend

maddiecat214

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is the first pictures of Capt Jack. This was in his first tank. Hes in a bigger tank now.
422.jpg

423.jpg

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very strange fins, What kind of betta is he? A crowntail? his fins look alot different then my male bettas fins *who is in a 10 gallon tank all to himself. hes spoiled*

Glad to see you are asking here and getting more information, Best of luck to you and Cpt jack

maddiecat214

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very strange fins, What kind of betta is he? A crowntail? his fins look alot different then my male bettas fins *who is in a 10 gallon tank all to himself. hes spoiled*

Glad to see you are asking here and getting more information, Best of luck to you and Cpt jack
He is a crown tail, at least thats what the store had him marked as. He looks a little different since he is in his new tank. I will get updated pictures and post them.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You have a very handsome boy there!

I hope you got or are getting the test kits soon, and that you are getting liquid test kits. Test strips are unreliable and also more expensive. You can also take your water to a local fish/pet store for testing, but they often just tell you "it's okay" and/or try to sell you the appropriate chemical (which you don't always need). Good job with the water changes. You should be be keeping them up every 1-2 days until your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate (say 10-30 nitrate). When you have those readings, then your tank will have cycled and you can go to weekly water changes (or whenever your nitrates reach 20-30 ppm).

Be careful when switching filters or replacing cartridges or anything, as a lot of your beneficial bacteria live in the filter media. I think I read that you were getting a new filter. You should just try running both of them at the same time for several days (or 1-2 weeks would be better) to let the beneficial bacteria settle in the new filter. Alternatively, you could throw the media from the old filter into the new filter. The problem with throwing out the old filter cartridge altogether (or removing the old filter and starting the new one fresh) is that so much bacteria live there, that you will go through a minicycle as the bacteria try to catch up again.

Best of luck with your fish.

maddiecat214

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You have a very handsome boy there!

I hope you got or are getting the test kits soon, and that you are getting liquid test kits. Test strips are unreliable and also more expensive. You can also take your water to a local fish/pet store for testing, but they often just tell you "it's okay" and/or try to sell you the appropriate chemical (which you don't always need). Good job with the water changes. You should be be keeping them up every 1-2 days until your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate (say 10-30 nitrate). When you have those readings, then your tank will have cycled and you can go to weekly water changes (or whenever your nitrates reach 20-30 ppm).

Be careful when switching filters or replacing cartridges or anything, as a lot of your beneficial bacteria live in the filter media. I think I read that you were getting a new filter. You should just try running both of them at the same time for several days (or 1-2 weeks would be better) to let the beneficial bacteria settle in the new filter. Alternatively, you could throw the media from the old filter into the new filter. The problem with throwing out the old filter cartridge altogether (or removing the old filter and starting the new one fresh) is that so much bacteria live there, that you will go through a minicycle as the bacteria try to catch up again.

Best of luck with your fish.
That is great advise! I didnt think of that!! I will keep run them both and put some old filter sponge in the new filter to try to get things going. I will be getting the test kit tomorrow with the new filter. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom