AcornTheBetta

Hi all!

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5g
How long has the tank been running? May 2020
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 Male Betta
1 Zebra Nerite

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once per week
How much of the water do you change? ~50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~1-2
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily or every other day
How much do you feed your fish? Depends
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold (6-8 pellets), Frozen Bloodworms (~5), BBS (IDK)
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? May 2020
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Acting weird, not eating right, sad/not as active as usual
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes. Less active and there is a white mark near his eye.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
He is not very active which is unusual for him since even if he is sick he is still very active. Seems to be not food motivated and barely wants to eat. He just seems like he is sad and not as happy as he usually is. There is a white mark near his eye (on his eyelid I think) and it's not very large... I don't see any signs of popeye so I suspect its just some sort of coloring I never noticed before. I have been trying to get some long lasting fin rot of his to go away, but it just won't. He has had fin rot for months now. I suspect it is because of the driftwood in the tank so I will be rescaping this weekend with only rock this time. Thanks!

AggressiveAquatics

Will he still eat treats like brine shrimp or blood worms? If so maybe he’s just on a food strike or something.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Will he still eat treats like brine shrimp or blood worms? If so maybe he’s just on a food strike or something.
Haven't tested with those yet (will tomorrow), but he turned down Hikari Betta Bio-Gold which he usually will go literally INSANE for.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Can we see the white mark? The fish could’ve hurt itself.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I'm leaving for school right now, but I'll get a pic when I get home.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

1616101900865.png

Upvote 0

Ouse

I can’t quite see the mark but I’m assuming it’s the white patch behind the eye?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I can’t quite see the mark but I’m assuming it’s the white patch behind the eye?
Yep. The white patch.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Ok. It’s pretty large. Are there any decorations the fish can scrape itself on?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Ok. It’s pretty large. Are there any decorations the fish can scrape itself on?
Not really. Just River Rock and some driftwood...

Upvote 0

Passionfish

I'm not entirely sure, but it just might be the start of popeye. I don't mean to make you more stressed, but it kind of seems like it, if he didn't have that before. Can you show us the other eye?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I'm not entirely sure, but it just might be the start of popeye. I don't mean to make you more stressed, but it kind of seems like it, if he didn't have that before. Can you show us the other eye?
I can get a pic later today... I'll start doing frequent water changes. Like I said before, he could have had that mark without me noticing...

Upvote 0

Passionfish

I can get a pic later today... I'll start doing frequent water changes. Like I said before, he could have had that mark without me noticing...
Ok. Now that I look at it more closely, it seems like pigment from his body is just developing in his eye. I'm not so sure about my popeye theory, but it would be best to have a picture of the other eye so we can determine what to do next.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

20210319_145008.jpg

Upvote 0

Passionfish

Eesh..
If it was pigmentation, Im pretty sure it would be symmetrical, so the same white patch on each side. I did as much research as I could and I can’t find anything whatsoever. Ill keep trying to find something. For now do what you think is best. I’ll get back to you ASAP. We’ll figure out what’s wrong.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Eesh..
If it was pigmentation, Im pretty sure it would be symmetrical, so the same white patch on each side. I did as much research as I could and I can’t find anything whatsoever. Ill keep trying to find something. For now do what you think is best. I’ll get back to you ASAP. We’ll figure out what’s wrong.
Ok. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
BenjiBear