Betta 10 gallon Tank Mates?

Caleb652

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 10 gallon aquarium with an aqua clear filter. I was thinking about keeping a betta but I would like more than just 1 betta in a 10 gallon. What are some compatible tank mates for a betta fish?

Achilles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Caleb652 said:
I have a 10 gallon aquarium with an aqua clear filter. I was thinking about keeping a betta but I would like more than just 1 betta in a 10 gallon. What are some compatible tank mates for a betta fish?
Pretty much any invertebrates should work fine. Shrimp are more risky IMO (get ghost shrimp if you want shrimp), but snails such as nerites are probably your best bet.

If you want fish, I keep mine with a couple platys and they get along great. Ember tetras are another great tankmate for bettas because they don't nip fins like other tetra species.

You may also want to look into Gouramis instead of bettas. They come from the same family of fish and they come in some great colors. They're a bit more peaceful than bettas as well so it would open up the range of your tankmate options.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shrimp or snails. A 10 gal isn't really big enough for a betta with other fish.

Arades

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like others have said, shrimp and snails would be your best bet but id say you could get away with 2 or 3 endlers aswell.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's too risky to keep bettas with any other fish in a 10 gallon. You could get nerite snails. Shrimp would work as well; I would recommend either ghost or amano because their coloration would most likely not attract the betta you'll have. All this to work out depends on the betta, so keeping a back up tank is ideal.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Arades said:
Like others have said, shrimp and snails would be your best bet but id say you could get away with 2 or 3 endlers aswell.
Endlers (and most livebearers) make extremely poor choices for betta tankmates because of their aggressive breeding habits and bright colors. Not to mention that a ten gallon with a betta has no room for other fish.

Arades

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I find my betta gets along great with endlers but i suppose that every betta is different.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom