Betsy's Tank (55 gallon)

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: Betsy's Tank (55 gallon)Suggestions PLEASE

Are you looking for what other fish you should ADD? or ..?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Some very nice schools going there. However, if you are looking to add more fish I'm afraid you've aready gone above your limit. The barbs, tetras, mollies, and danios all equal 59" of adult fish and I didn't count the unknown fish or the shrimp. You aren't that far over and that is only once they mature, so it's not a problem at the moment. But I wouldn't add anything else without moving others to a new home first. However, I'd sure like some pics. I love to see the barbs and tetras school ;D

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Tiger barbs get to 3 inches, so 9x3 is 27, Neon tetras get to 1 inch, so 27 plus 13 is 40. Zebra danios get 2 inches, so thats 44 inches. The blue tetras get 2 inches, so thats 46 inches. then mollies get 2 inches aproximately, so thats 48. I will count the orange fish as 2 inches, so thats 52 inches in all. The ghost shrimp we do not count because they usually pick up more waste than they produce. You are not overstocked... how do you figure 59 inches???
Brianna
P.S, hope I didn't screw up!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

The Neon Tetras actually get to 1.5" and will use 19.5 gallon, add that to 27g for the barbs, 4g for the danios and bring the load to 50.5 gallon. Then 4g more for the blue tetras and 3 gallon for the Dalmation Molly (they get up to 3") and I get 57.5 gallon. I think adding 2 gallon for each of the orange fish might be good since they could be platys to get to 61.5 gallon

It's a bit over the 1" per gallon rule, but not that far and I think with partial water changes about every 5 days instead of 7 might keep things good.

what were you looking for advice on? I'd also love to see pics of your fish, to identify the orange fish and see how it looks. Sounds like a great setup that you have there.

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score

What are you looking for? As already stated, you don't need any more tank mates, but what have you done with the tank itself?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score

9 tiger barbs x 3" each = 27
13 neon tetras x 1.5" each = 19.5
Phil the dalmatian molly = 4.5
Mike and Ike the blue tetras x 2" each = 4
2 zebra danios x 2" each = 4

27 + 19.5 + 4.5 + 4 + 4 = 59"

are usually incorrectly lumped in with other mollies which only get to be 3", but they actually get up to 4.75" but I just made it 4.5" because... well because I wanted a round number

betsy_n_loves_JRC

Reaction score

well i might post a picture of my little orange fish.A couple of my neons just died.We can't figure out what's killing my neons.

the orange fish isn't even an inch long.he's not a platy.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
betsy_n_loves_JRC said:
the orange fish isn't even an inch long.he's not a platy.
I'll look forward to the pics. When did the neons start dying? what are their symptoms? do any of the other fish show any signs of illness?

betsy_n_loves_JRC

Reaction score
We have really bad luck..I'm pretty much a beginner.
First we bought neons and my spotted cat fish ate them.
So we got rid of the little guy and a friend gladly took him
We then bought more and had about 24?
Then they started dieing.
No symptons.In the morning they are stuck to the filter tube thing.
Only two other fish have died.A tiger barb (wasnt getting food) poor little guy
And another one like the little orange one.
It might be these one blue tetras we have.
Fin nippers..they are.
But about 4 neones have dies mysteriously

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a lot to learn when we start, huh? we just started the beginning of this year ourselves.

do they look whole or like they've been chewed on? Also, do you have a testing kit like the API master freshwater kit? If not, I'd recommend picking that up & testing your water. It sounds like you might have a water chemistry issue and the neons are going down first to it.

betsy_n_loves_JRC

Reaction score
yea, thanks I'll look into getting a testing kit.I was going to get one.Well, the tiger barbs start eating pretty quick so it's hard to tell but it seems as if they die pretty whole.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom