Beth’s Fish Sick And Other Problems

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by yannifb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. y

yannifb Valued Member Member

so recently there’s been problems with my 30 gal— it started when I put what looked like an injured cherry barb in— the barb passed, and now my betas fins are looking rough and he seems sluggish. The other fish seem completely fine and the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0, nitrates at around 10-15 (heavily planted tank though).

There’s two pics attached— if anyone has any idea what this is I’d greatly appreciate it

Attached Files:

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

What are the other inhabitants? Are there dark edges around the fins? We need a little more info :)

3. OP
    OP
    y

The tips of the fins are white and kind of flaky— they’re usually blood red and very full.

As for other inhabitants- there are 3 Amano shrimp, a pearl gourami, a guppy, 2 black fin tetras, a dwarf crayfish, 1 cherry barb, and a Molly. They’re all doing super well (very active), as are the plants in the tank.

4. emmysjj

A fungus, maybe?
    You also have some stocking issues if you’d like to discuss them :)

5. OP
    OP
    y

Of course- what’s the stocking issue?

6. emmysjj

The Cherry barbs and tetras need schools of at least 6. The gourami and betta will more then likely fight.
    There are also temp incompatibilities.
    If you corrected all of these issues, you’d be overstocked.

My suggestion, move the betta to its own tank, they, in most cases, aren’t community fish.
    I’d rehome the molly, they make a lot of waste.
    If you want to keep your schools, up the barbs and tetras to 8 each.
    I think the crayfish needs it’s own tank, they can hurt any fish that comes near it, especially a slow swimmer like a male betta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice