Question Beta with Dropsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinderjane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello All,

I have a Beta with Dropsy ... Dreaded Dropsy to be exact.

He's usually in a 12 gal tank with 3 neons and a bottom feeder. All water parameters are normal.

He appeared to be constipated a few weeks ago, so He's been on a shelled pea diet and only fed every other day.

I have isolated him in a containment tank which sits on the inside of the aquarium and have been changing the water everyday.

Today he's looking a bit like a 'pine cone'.

I purchased Mardel Maracyn Plus as a treatment and also added a small amount of Nutrafin Freshwater Aquarium salt.

My question is: Do I change the water everyday and add fresh treatments? The Mardel says to treat day 1, 3 and 5.

How long can he stay in the same water?

Thanks everyone!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about your betta.
Are you sure its dropsy and not just from the bloating caused by constipation?
In my experience, when they pine cone, it's usually too late. :-\
The maracyn directions don't mention water changes. I'd be afraid they would dilute the meds.
Of course, not changing the water has it's own concerns like ammonia build up.
Do you have a quarantine tank you can put him in and use a small filter or sponge filter?
You could easily seed that tank with filter media from your established tank.

Best of luck. I hope he pulls through.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size is the container he's in now? I personally would drop the salt as Betta's are freshwater fish and salt is an irritant.
The reason Maracyn says to treat on day 1,3,5 is so the medicine solution becomes stronger over the 5 day period of time. If you change the water then the medicine doesn't reach the concentration it needs to.
Depending on the size of the container and whether it's cycled or not whether he can stay in the same water for 5 days safely.
Carol

OP
Cinderjane

Cinderjane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The container he's in just sits on the inside of the aquarium. It holds about 5-6 cups. No filter. Keeps warm with the main aquarium water which also is important.

If his chances are not good, I'll have to euthanize him. We're going away for two weeks beginning of May, and I wouldn't expect our zoo keepers to tend to a sick fish. I also hate to see him suffer.

I read on the fish forum that Epsom salts or aquarium salts were good for constipated fresh water fish ... conflicting views I guess.

Too bad there aren't any fish hospitals ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom