Beta type?

1. Calum98

Calum98 Valued Member Member

Would anyone be able to identify this fish, I know it's a female Beta but not any specifics as the pet shop doesn't know anything else.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

She looks like my veil tail betta Midnight, but i cant be sure, perhaps someone else can say for certain :)
    Here is a pic of Midnight to compare:
    [​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    Calum98

I see the similarities, cheers for the insight

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a cambodian color variety. I'm not certain that some tail types are all that evident on female Bettas, but I haven't been following Betta fin developments for many years. The tails on both of those fish look the same as all the females I had years ago.

5. OP
    OP
    Calum98

It was mainly out of curiosity I was asking, but that's for the reply, I'm new to fish keeping

6. SabrinaBrook

Hi again Calum98,
    Do i see a angel fish in the background of the second photo? Do you have your betta in a community tank? If so that's so awesome! I have tried to get a tank mate for my female midnight but she is far to bossy!

7. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Yeah I do, I have a male beta in there aswell as two other females, 2 swordtails, 5 guppies, 2 angelfish, a Pearl and red robbing Gourami, 4 Minnows, silver shark (Soon to be rehomed hopefully) a pleccy and an albino cory. Everything is getting along other than the sword tails developing a bit of an attitude towards the silver shark :L
    I'm pretty sure it's all just been beginners luck for it to work out as it has.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Also don't worry about the three guppies in such a small breeding box, it was only temporary while I set up a new tank for them :')

9. SabrinaBrook

Oh wow!! This is amazing, good on you and good luck with everything :D
    That a huge tank too!

10. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Thank you very much :') second tank that pregnant guppies are in is only 54 and bare bottom but plan on using it as a nursery

11. SabrinaBrook

Sounds good, i love baby guppy fry, they cute as buttons. I envy your tank size lol and wish i could have a community like that! Im only fairly new to fish keeping too so im still learning the ropes, its not as easy as you think at first, but its a hole lot of fun and something to be proud of!

12. OP
    OP
    Calum98

They are adorable :') just went to dobbies and got a 4 cherry shrimp and they've all moved into the filter housing :') bought a background and an extra decoration while I was at it[​IMG]
    But best of luck getting your betta into a community tank,

13. SabrinaBrook

That is a great photo of your tank, very nice indeed. Ooo you got new stuff, nice, i love fish shopping lol
    Thanks, i might try a betta in the community once i buy a much larger tank next month i hope. You never know :)

14. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Thank you very much, it's a bit of an addiction once you get started :') and good luck just provide plenty of hiding places for him :')

15. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Is that a male betta in with her? I would separate the two immediately. Male and female bettas should not be kept together unless you are breeding.

16. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Its more of a sorority, there's 3 females in there with him

17. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Do you have white mt minnows? If so there are some temp incompatibilities going on.

18. OP
    OP
    Calum98

I do, at petshop the guy told me it would be fine, but got home, and started researching them and found out they need to be at a lower temperature that all my other fish, gonna try rehomee them as soon as i can

19. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

So you have a male beta and 2 female betas in the same tank together? I have a 60gal community with a male beta in their. I also have a 40gal community with a sorority of female betas, black neon tetra's, cories, and ghost shrimp!:)

20. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Not to be crude, but on the assumption that all the fish are active, eating, and non aggressive must threads go off topic based on the many many many stocking issues? There is a time and place, and I feel like so many people have issues w/ this for what turns out to be a 'natural habitat' dilemma. Jumping from a fish ID to a mis-stock is by far the most irrelevant thing. =\