Question Beta Tank Mate List

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agreed, don't put others of the gouramI family with bettas - you're bound for a fight. Same with angelfish. I wouldn't exactly recommend rummies for a betta either since they are very active and can stress out your betta. Stick with smaller rasbora species and cories. The pleco will also do fine. I have no experience with kribs but have read a lot of other people don't advise them with bettas at all.

OP
NoOne

NoOne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, I have decided on a gorgeous betta...
Will put in 5 pandas, 1 bristlenose, a group of cherrie shrimp, maybe a dwarf African frog......I still want some schooling fish but may want them mostly silver . Any suggestions s and how does this sound?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NoOne said:
Ok, I have decided on a gorgeous betta...
Will put in 5 pandas, 1 bristlenose, a group of cherrie shrimp, maybe a dwarf African frog......I still want some schooling fish but may want them mostly silver . Any suggestions s and how does this sound?
That sounds a lot better. Have you looked into celestial pearl danios before? I have some and they're amazing. They're not silver and they shoal more than school, but they have amazing colors - navy blue body, red/orange fins with black stripes, and little gold spots all over. They're my favorite nano species. Harlequin rasboras, chilI rasboras, and ember tetras school a bit more and also are not silver but are certain to get along with a betta and relatively easy to find.

I would also note that there's been a huge issue with panda cories dying on people for no reason lately. No one really knows why - it could be a panda-specific disease or something, but just a warning. Many people would probably recommend to steer away from pandas and choose a different type of cory instead.

OP
NoOne

NoOne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the heads up on the cories. I will think of another alternative. May be the shrimp and BN pleco will be sufficient. I will look at the pearl danios. Maybe the harlequin rasboras

OP
NoOne

NoOne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could I put some xray tetras with the betta? Or are all tetras a no.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Xrays aren't known to be fin nippers so they should work. They are more on the shy side so if anything the betta would chase them off.

New Threads