Beta Tail Fin Got Ripped Off?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Albatrosscp, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Albatrosscp

AlbatrosscpNew MemberMember

So I have a filter that pulls from a few slots near the bottom (whisper 10i from tetra) and I notice balue was stuck on the area where the water gets sucked in. A few days later now and his tail is almost completely gone and he can't swim, he's stuck flopping at the bottom of his water not being able to move. Is there any kind of treatment we can do to help him get better or is this going to be a funeral soon

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

Oh no! I am SO sorry about your Betta. Do you have a picture and is he trying to be active or does he seem lethargic? Is he eating normally or at all?

3. OP
    OP
    Albatrosscp

He's laying in the corner so I can't get a picture right now, he is swimming a bit more upright than before. He didn't show any interest in being active the last few hours, I don't think he's eating anything yet but it looks like he can't get off the bottom of the tank.

4. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

:( what a bummer. I wish I knew something else you could do but if he is unable to get around and refuses to eat you may lose him.

5. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Eeek! I would get him into a smaller, shallow container within the tank and prop it up so he's inches from the surface ASAP. If there's not enough oxygen in the water he can actually drown!

Something like a sandwich tupperware placed on top of an upside down pint glass or something that reaches the top.

6. OP
    OP
    Albatrosscp

Here he is, upside down and not breathing so great, I got him in a smaller bowl towards the top.

Attached Files:

7. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

I was hoping for something shallower and propped up so that it could allow the filtered tank water to mix into the container, but regardless it is not looking good for him.