Beta Not Eating

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Viz, Apr 22, 2018.

1. VizNew MemberMember

My Betta isn't eating! He's just lying at the bottom of the tank for almost a week. He's my first betta. I'm really worried. He is in a tank with 3 small goldfish (they don't bother him). I was thinking of putting him in a jar and trying to force him to eat. Really desperate

2. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

How big a tank? Three goldfish? What type of filter, heater? Water parameters? Pics?

3. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Maybe try some "worm" type of food to entice him: Bloodworms...tubifex...or even bottom sinking shrimp pellets. My baby betta likes sinking food more than he does surface food...maybe try those first BEFORE you "force" him to try to eat.

4. penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Most likely it's because of the goldfish and tank conditions.

Your profile says you don't know of the nitrogen cycle. Cycling is an important part of having an aquarium, so I can only assume that your ammonia levels are through the roof and that's why your betta isn't eating.

Give us answers to the following questions and we'll try to help you.
    -Tank size?
    -Do you have a heater?
    -How long have the fish been in there?
    -Do you have any sort of water test kit?

5. VizNew MemberMember

My tank's about 50 litres. Room temperature is about 25 Celsius. I don't have any heaters and stuff. My fish have been there for 5 months.

Oh. And I have a filter. Its a submerged pump+filter thing. Really powerful

I don't think they are available in my area:(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  6. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

That tank is EXTREMELY overstocked. Goldfish require 200+ gallons or ponds. Your betta should be in a tank at 80degrees and the goldfish around 60 degrees. You should rehome the goldfish and buy a heater for the betta.

7. penguin02Well Known MemberMember

The goldfish need to go. Do you know anything about how a tank cycles?

8. VizNew MemberMember

I don't know about tank cycles...
    I checked my betta closely now. His "side fins" are gone! Tail is OK. But his stomach is kinda swollen. Do you think I can save him? :(:(

9. WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

We need pictures to help.

10. VizNew MemberMember

I'm going to remove him from the jar back to the tank coz he didn't eat

Looks like this

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  11. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Tap or well water? Any sort of water conditioner? I don’t have anyone here right now that can look at your pic. I’m sorry you and your fish are going through this. I wish I could see your Betta. Is it having difficulty breathing? :(

12. VizNew MemberMember

Its
    Its tap water but with a water conditioner. It says sodium thiosulphate Disodium EDTA.
    He seems to be breathing fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice