Beta In Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bgardner510, Aug 3, 2017.

1. bgardner510

bgardner510Valued MemberMember

In casual communication at work today, the topic of having a beta in a community tank came up.

I have a lone beta in a 2.5 gallon tank, then I have a 30 gallon with just some mollies, neon tetras, and a few bottom feeder catfish.

Someone said chances are the beta would do just fine in the community tank with those fish (thinking of getting rid of 2.5), just can't be in a community with other Betas.

I do not remember if the beta is male or female.

Thoughts?

2. UniqueShark

UniqueSharkWell Known MemberMember

Don't do it if you are new to fish keeping. Google how to tell a betta gender, it is easy. Either way, while females are better in a community tank, they still will attack and rip fins of other fish like guppies

3. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Mollies are very active fish and are prone to nipping, I would never keep a betta with any sort of live-bearers. As for the neons, they can by nippy too and the betta might go after them because of their small size. The long finned male bettas have a much higher chance of getting nipped at by tank mates.

Bottom feeders are the way to go for bettas, though some bettas will go after the bottom feeders. I've had a male betta harass my corydoras to the point of having to move them. It was only the betta and 5 corydoras in a 36gal tank.

That being said, I have 9 females bettas with 2 BN plecos and an upside down catfish. They get on wonderfully.
    I've also got a male betta with 5 kuhli loaches, they also get along.

As for the gender of you betta, post a picture and we will be able to tell you.

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

It's very risky on adding bettas to a community tank. Plus, your neons would need cooler water than your betta.

5. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

In the eyes of a betta, anything that looks like a betta is a betta - including mollies. If you can put them somewhere else and the tetras have a large enough school that won't nip the betta or seriously annoy him, you can try it out.

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't do bettas with mollies or neons.

7. Shawn Menard

Shawn MenardValued MemberMember

Just an experience I had while starting up my first aquarium about 15 years ago, my local fs guy told me it would do fine in my community tank. I had put him in and he did extremely well. He lasted about 4 years in it with no other fish dieing. Maybe it was just a good beta!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice