Beta Help Please!

1. lschneid Member Member

I have a beautiful beta that I got back in November. The past two weeks he has been completely lifeless, almost comatose. I have thought several times he was dead and I go to scoop him out and then he starts swimming around fast, then goes back to being comatose. He hides in his cave or today he was floating up on the top. He won't eat at all. Water params are fine, nothing has changed. Any idea? I am sure he will die soon, but thought I'd throw it out to see if there is some sort of cure. He is in a 5 gallon, heated, with a 10 gallon filter.
    Thanks!!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

3. lschneid Member Member

Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-between 10-20, can't tell-colors look too similar. They pretty much haven't changed since November when I got him

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change each time? What's the temperature? Have there been any changes to his tank?

5. lschneid Member Member

Water changes every 2 weeks- about 30-40%. Have been doing that since November. No changes at all. Temp is at 78 degrees.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

In such a small tank I would be doing more frequent water changes, for now increase to every other day of 25% and see if that helps then do regular weekly water changes of about 50%.

7. lschneid Member Member

Ok. Do you have any idea on why this is now just starting to happen? I have had him for 8 months now.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It could be cumulative. If the water quality has been unstable it will have put his body under stress and eventually his ability to fight off infections or other health issues will worsen. It's like if I decided to eat nothing but junk food. I'd be ok for a while but eventually my body wouldn't have enough in reserve to heal properly.

9. Brizburk Member Member

Too much water flow from the filter maybe?

10. iamclaire Member Member

He might also just be getting old. Fish age and slow down just like we do. Try getting something like a betta leaf hammock so he can rest near the top and decrease the water flow as much as you can. Also, how long has his food been open? Dried fish flakes and pellets rapidly loose their viability once opened.