Beta Fish Prefer Warm Water Or Normal Water Temperature?

1. viveksathisan Initiate Member

Hi Beta lovers,

What type of water temperatures do beta fishes needs? I read 80 degrees F / 26 Degree Celsius.

But here the climate is cold right now and the temperature of water comes around nearly 20 Degree Celsius, and my beta fishes have no issues.

So does the water temperature is very important to maintain?
    Why is it different from other fishes?

And if need to warm the water for betas, do i boil water and mix it with the normal water and maintain the temperature to 80 Degree F ? Does it works?
  2. Shadow2331 Member Member

Yes water temperature is very very important, some bettas however can withstand a bit lower temperature too but not too low just a bit, and to heat the water use a aquarium heater, where have you housed your betta is he in the aquarium?

3. viveksathisan Initiate Member

Yes i have 7 betas which i partitioned with etched glass in between in my aquarium.
    I will post the pic soon
  4. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Bettas need to be kept at 80f , lower temps will weaken your bettas immune system and be prone to infections ect.. Get an aquarium heater to keep the temp steady at 80f. Also In the wild, bettas live in warm rice paddies with low water circulation, high oxygen and stable, warm temperatures, you should reproduce thiz for your fish

on the side note I hope you have a filter as well because it's important and nessecarily for over well being of your betta and any fish for that matter.

5. Shadow2331 Member Member

It is better you get an aquarium heater to keep things good :)
  6. Aster Well Known Member Member

20 Celsius is definitely too cold, they come from a warm area.

You'll see higher activity levels at the right temperature, and it allows faster metabolism, helping avoid constipation.

Get a heater, ideally adjustable :)
  7. California L33 Well Known Member Member

I think the problem here might be that he has the equivalent of 7 tanks if he has solid glass partitions between his Bettas and no way for water to pass through. This will make heating and filtration a challenge.

8. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The natural temperatures for water in the original habitat of Betta splendens range from 24 to 30 (75 to 86 for the US). At 20c (68f), you are quite low. That can affect digestive enzymes and overall health.

Remember, normal doesn't exist. In January, normal for me where I live is -9c. Today, it is 29c and very humid. But I can still keep Bettas year round by respecting what is normal for them.
  9. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

The temp depends on the Betta imo, One of my Bettas thrives in warm water(78'F) while the other didn't thrive in it and started dying so i put him in 74'F started doing better again.
  10. Jess44246 Initiate Member

All 4 of my bettas thrive at 80 degrees F!